1999 Johnson 150

Johnsonbroke

Recruit
Hi everyone, I am new here and hoping for some help and advise on my 1999 Johnson 150. Took it out last weekend and it ran great all day with no problems. Later in the afternoon I was idling up a cove and it just quit like I had turned the key off. When trying to restart it would on stay started if I held the key in the start position and I could hear the starter still enguaged, but it would idle. As soon as I would let the return to run position it would quit again as if the key was turned off. Any thoughts of where I should start to look for the problem? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There will be more experienced folks you should listen to than me, but until then..
​One thought is the key switch.. Use a multi-meter and check the "M" posts. You should have continuity between the "M" posts in the off position, but NOT in the run position. If that's not true, then the switch is probably bad...

​(Umm. IF this is a 2-stroke, magneto type ignition. You may have to ignore me all together if it's not.. ) LOL

Johnsonbroke

Recruit
Thanks for the response, I can tell you it is a 2-stroke.... the model number on it is j150plees, if this helps with your suggestions. And all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow! Thanks JohnsonBroke!
​I appreciate the vote of confidence! lol..

​Let me just be clear.. I am NO expert. lol.. I just recently got my 71 Johnson 50hp running. It's my first boat and my first experience with outboards.
I will again advise you that others will have better, or more precise advice for you.
​I feel I may have jumped the gun in my original response, because I was excited about some things I had learned.
​The LAST thing I want to do is give invalid suggestions.

Having said that, I've learned A LOT from the others here.
​To speak only to the switch possibility I first thought of...
​I looked up your engine.
​Using a multi-meter, you can check the key switch by checking continuity..
​When the key is in the "Off" position, you should have continuity between the two "M" posts on the key switch.
​In "Run" or "Start", you should NOT have continuity between the "M" posts. If you do, then it's grounding the ignition and shuts the engine off.

​That was all I was thinking.. Maybe the "M" posts are getting continuity in "Run" when they should not be. Therefore, a bad key switch.

​In hindsight, there are many more things to check as well, and I do not want to speak to those because I fear I'd give improper advice.
​Checking the key switch may involve (and probably does) taking apart your remote control unit.

​While my thought and method of checking the "M" posts is valid, I'd highly suggest you wait for other, more experienced folks to chime in as well..

​I apologize for any inconvenience..

Joe
​.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That motor likely puts battery voltage into powerpack, when engine is cranking. If power coil on Stator is bad, she will run with starter running, but now without.

Johnsonbroke

Recruit
Thanks for the advice jbuote and chris1956 I did the test in the ignition switch as you suggested, and you are correct on how to test it and it was not faulty. I got a mechanic on the phone today from a local boat dealer and he walked me through some other tests and I think I have nailed it down to the power pack or the optical sensor. I have a new pack coming tomorrow. I will post an update after I install it.

Johnsonbroke

Recruit
So 4 months later I have the same problem again, engine will run with key held in start position but as soon as I let it return to run position it shuts off. Could it be a defective power pack or is something else causing the power pack to go bad? I'm open to any suggestions please...