1980 Evinrude 35HP - No Spark............

DJF99

Recruit
Looking for some help please. Bought this old motor on a pontoon last fall and it did run. Stored it properly for the winter while I did a full overhaul on the pontoon boat. Also rebuilt the carb anad installed a new water pump kit, all with OMC parts. Tried starting today and have no spark on either cylinder. I spent the afernoon checking all wires and verified the emergency kill swith is working as it should. I did find two bad / corroded ground wires and replaced. still no luck.
If anyone has suggestions / alternate sites to search or expeience with this engine please reply your help and knowledge is geatly appreciated!
Thanks You!
Don

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 is to charge the battery.--------And have battery load tested.

DJF99

Recruit
I would not have thought of that being the motor cranks over very fast as it always did. That battery came with the boat but I have no history as for age. I have a known good battery and will try your suggestion.
Thanks

DJF99

Recruit
OK, I tried a known good new battery and still no spark. Motor cranks well but no spark. Checked all the conections I could find and also the emergency kill switch in the throttle box. Nothing. Even disabbled that emergency kill switch inside the throttle box with no better resuts.
Can anyone please help steer me in the right direction???
Thanks in advance.
Don

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to cdielectronics.com for troubleshooting ignition systems.

DJF99

Recruit
Thanks for the info bobbie! . I've found the section for my engine in the troubleshooting guide and will get started tonight. I understand most of the component diagnostics, but what does "DVA" refer to? I also ordered a OMC service manual from ebay this morning.
Thanks
Don

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
Peak voltage. .Explained on CDI website.Direct Voltage Adapter.

DJF99

Recruit
Issues solved! Was a bad "stop wire" at the ignition switch. Found it using the diagnosis guide from CDI. Thanks much to all for the help.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Issues solved! Was a bad "stop wire" at the ignition switch. Found it using the diagnosis guide from CDI. Thanks much to all for the help.
that's what I thought reading the first post...yay.