1969 18 hp prop shaft seal... does it exist?

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm re sealing my 1969 18 hp 18902 D and the prop shaft doesn't have what looks to be a seal like all others I've seen! Does it in fact have one? Also at the top of the water impeller housing is some sort of extension with two rubber O-rings in each side... I've never seen this. What is it? Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I will try coaching on this.-----It is simple.---------Remove the washer ! ----Pop the seal out and replace the seal.----One party refused to believe this can be done.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol ok so the reason it doesn't look like the others is because the washer is flat and in the way! Oh I'm coachable ! When masters talk I listen! Thank you!

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last time???

I never asked about a prop seal before??

In any case washer is out and so is seal! Now why doesn't the parts diagram for my gear case show a seal and corresponding part number??? The Lito bought on eBay doesn't have the correct seal. The inner diameter is too small!

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right not 39... the seal that's inside # 25! In any case I removed the washer as per racerone's advice and removed the seal! Just wondering why the diagram doesn't show a seal and Part number!

Also the extension above the water impeller housing... still wondering what it is it's not in the diagram either

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??--------The elusive part is shown along with all the ----exhaust housing----parts.----Is the part # on the old seal ??-Measure the shaft with micrometer and measure bore of the housing.---Post those exact numbers.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You the man Vic! I see it now. Racerone I don't own a micrometer but I will look into getting one. The part number is not on the old seal . Diameter of the prop shaft is 5/8, the seal has a removable o ring that the guy I bought it from says doesn't belong in the seal. Without the no ring the seal fits fine... the question is what is this o ring for