Carb mystery

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1971 Evinrude 40 that had not been run for a couple of years. The previous owner said he had winterized/Stabilized it, but it will only run for 5 ? 60 seconds (choked). Then if you wait a minute and try again, it will do the same thing. Sounds like a gummed-up carb? I can't figure out why it dies (as though it's not getting gas?); but then will start and run again a minute later.

I put some carb cleaner in my gas and have been doing this several times/day, hoping that with time any crud will finally dissolve and flush out, and everything will be fine. A sound theory? Wishful thinking? Anything else I can try before biting the bullet and bring it in for carb cleaning?

Thnx...

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Unless the previous owner drained the carb during his winterization, a couple of years probably means the carb is gummed up. Most likely it lets enough gas in to start, but isn't letting the gas flow in at a sufficient rate to keep it running...or too much. The float could be stuck, or a jet could be clogged up. I would take the carb off and clean it up, pretty easy to do yourself if you have any mechanical know how. I am sure you can find a step by step guide online. Probably worth the time if its sat a few years anyway.

lindy46

Captain
Clean the carb and install a carb kit. That means removing the carb and disassembling it. Not that difficult a job.

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys, you've given me the courage. I'll order a kit and see what I can do. Thanks for the encouragement...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you own an older motor it is best to learn some simple maintenance.----Finding a shop that will work on older motors can be a challenge.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is a god idea to get a Shop Manual for he engine. I got one for my 1978 2 HP Johnson ( it's an Evinrude manual, but the engines are the same) from ebay for about $25 Canadian.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had the same problem with a Chrysler .A complete disassembly and thorough cleaning ,and setting the float level cured the problem,didn't need a rebuild kit .