1983 Johnson Sailmaster 9.9

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I picked up this motor for $40 as-is (seized)

Managed to get it freed up and it felt like it had compression.

It was missing the manual starter and the electric start has some issue (doesn't seem to run at the right speed with the start button)

Also missing the stop button, tiller grip handle (and the components in the handle) and whoever had it must have tried to free the motor with the flywheel nut since it was stripped.

Ended up finding a guy locally selling a 1974 9.9 electric start for parts, he wanted $150, picked it up for $125. He showed me a receipt for $133 in parts he put in it trying to get it to run but the only thing wrong with it according to him it was "running rough"...

So I take it home, play with the low speed carb setting, put new plugs in and away it goes. Sigh.
Now I don't have a parts motor anymore and still need all the parts to get the '83 running. haha.

I temporarily borrowed the flywheel nut and after some adjustments she fires up and runs for about a minute or so. Huzzah! Time to buy some parts 😒

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
So I take it home, play with the low speed carb setting, put new plugs in and away it goes. Sigh.

Good work, but could you clarify what you meant by the above?

You also may want to check the compression and/or pull the head and see what the rings and cylinder walls look like before putting any money towards it.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good work, but could you clarify what you meant by the above?

Meaning, the gentleman I bought the motor from didn't have the low speed needle set up properly. It seated before the knob even got to the fully lean position. I turned it out 1.5 turns and then fired it in a bucket.

I plan on doing a compression test but can't find my tester and trying to do a compression test wrapping a rope around the flywheel really isn't fun... I'm probably going to rig the electric start motor some way to do the test. If I ever find my tester. 😑