Exhaust Gaskets

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Does everyone change both exhaust gaskets every time you do a water pump or have the LU down for some other reason?

Just did my pumps, shift shaft and drive shaft seals and it was suggested I replace both the upper and lower exhaust gaskets before putting the LU back up. The current ones are at least 6yrs old, since that's how long I have owned the boat.

They both still seem pretty pliable, although the upper one does look like it's a little squished, for lack of a better word, but not bad. Looks like it has been up there a while.

There also seems to be a good amount of corrosion/salt where the upper exhaust gaskets seats. Is that normal? Again its been up there at least 6yrs.

Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry, 2004 200hp DI/FICHT, not that it matters to the LU whether it's carbed or DI. Also to get the upper one down, you just pull on the exhaust housing and pop it down right? Probably should've asked that before I did it, but it seemed as though the upper exhaust gasket is all that holds it up in there...until the LU gets bolted back on of course.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Is the lack of responses due to it being a stupid question or because nobody ever changes their exhaust gaskets?

interalian

Commander
My '82 still has the originals. I'm assuming you mean the rubber gaskets that fit on the exhaust adapter tube.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
That's correct. I've never done it on any of my engines, but it was suggested that I do both upper and lower.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Of all the experts on here, nobody can tell me if it is a suggested thing to replace the exhaust gaskets when you drop your LU?

interalian

Commander
Who suggested it to you in the first place? I've never heard of them being replaced, but my experience doesn't cover all years.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
The shop that re-sealed my lower units suggested doing them. I've never done them on any of my engines in the past. They are cheap enough, I guess I might as well.