Power Pack failures

Cptkid570

Ensign
1996 Evinrude 112 hp spl. Does a power pack typically gradually fail or fail suddenly leaving no spark at all? How about the stator? My motor has no spark and I'm trying to diagnose the issue. I'm new to outboards (always had I/Os).

If I'm understanding this right, the electrical route is from the ignition/key, the stator, then Power Pack, then coils, to the spark plug wires, and then the spark plugs. I think there are a couple of other components in there too. But, that is the general route.

Is that correct?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, 12 volts from the battery is not used to make spark at the plugs.------I have to ask, do you understand the basic function of the " powerpack "----the "stator " and the " timerbase "---On this motor?

Cptkid570

Ensign
I'm trying to. I was hoping to find an answer to my question. And yes. I do understand that I can't simply hook the battery up to a spark plug. There is a process. I'm trying to understand that process so that I can better diagnose my issue. Please explain to me the function of the stator, the timerbase, and the powerpack.. and if they typically fail suddenly and stop working completely, or gradually where performance gets bad before they fail completely.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
All of the components you mentioned can fail instantly, or slowly with odd symptoms.

​Need further info to help.

​Did this just happen?

​Motor new to you?

​What's the history?

​Assume safety Lanyard is in place, check to see that it works as it should?

Blown fuses?

​Battery and starter in good shape, spinning the motor fast?

​You have pulled out all the plugs and checked spark while it is spinning faster?

Cptkid570

Ensign
Thank you ondarvr. I've had the boat for a little over a year and it has been running perfectly. I ran it about 20 miles over the weekend and then this week, I went about 3 miles and it did great. I stopped at a dock and when I came back, it wouldn't start (or it started and ran for a few seconds and then cut out). It spins and spins, but absolutely no spark at the plugs. The ignition is not equiped with a lanyard. Previous owner must've replaced it because there is a sticker that shows how the lanyard works, but there never has been one since I've owned it. I will check for blown fuses.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the flywheel spins fast enuff the CHARGE COILS in the stator generate a voltage pulse that is stored in the powerpack capacitor.-----The magnets around the flywheel hub generate pulses in the sensor coils to release the stored pulse via silicon controlled rectifiers to the proper coil to fire the sparkplugs.That is the way it works more or less.----Yes some components fail suddenly and some gradually.------The charge coils and sensor coils can be tested without removing the flywheel..

Cptkid570

Ensign
Thank you racerone.. I thought it worked something like that. How do you test the stator and power pack? I'm tempted to just buy a new power pack, but. I don't know how old mine is (if it was old anyway, I wouldn't mind so much of having a new one, but I don't want to replace it if it has a long lifespan ahead).. I hate just throwing parts at something...

It is just weird because of how it just suddenly quit. I thought it could be the cutout switch, but I have no lanyard.. perhaps the ignition switch went bad, but I was able to jumper around on that yesterday and still had the same result..

Cptkid570

Ensign
No Title

Is there something I should test on this while cranking to see if I'm getting power?

Attachments

• photo265314.jpg
    photo265314.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If they bypassed the safety lanyard it can be a loose connection at that point, the wires need to be connected, had that happen to me once.

Cptkid570

Ensign
I don't want or have a need to test for spark. I have no spark. I already know that. I want to test and see if 1. the safety lanyard wires that were bypassed have come loose. 2. If the stator is working. 3. if the power pack is working. Will any of the terminals in that photo allow for me to test for any of those things? What color are the safety lanyard wires? It isn't the black with yellow stripe wire is it?

Cptkid570

Ensign
There are 2 yellow wires going to 1 post on the back of my ignition switch (key).. perhaps the lanyard would typically disrupt the connection between those two yellow wires?

Cptkid570

Ensign
ok, I'm at least learning what is what. (Following the guide that Ondarvr posted)

- I disconnected the black/yellow wire at the power pack (still no spark)
- I disconnected the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier. (still no spark)
- Cranking RPMs are fantastic.. No issue there
- Engine is turning in a clockwise direction
- ground wires to power pack and ignition coils are good
- checked all plugs. No spark
- I don't have a remote start kit, so I can't try to start it with the boat side harness disconnected
- disconnected the 4 pin wire from the power pack (ok, mine had 5 wires).. still no spark.

I'm still wondering if the key lanyard disrupts a connection between yellow wires

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If they bypassed the safety lanyard it can be a loose connection at that point, the wires need to be connected, had that happen to me once.
the lanyard is a simple mechanical kill switch with no interlock. To bypass, simply don't use it. I've not used mine in years

Fed

Commander
The safety lanyard switch closes to kill the ignition by grounding it. Disconnecting the black/yellow wire eliminates the safety switch as a cause.
How did you test for spark?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
the lanyard is a simple mechanical kill switch with no interlock. To bypass, simply don't use it. I've not used mine in years

It makes contact when it's in place, pulled out it opens the circuit, when no lanyard switch is in place the wires need to be connected. He doesn't have a lanyard switch to leave the lanyard in, neither did I.

Fed

Commander
I know there's something funny about the lanyard on the key switch type ondarvr. I though it was...

Lanyard in place = switch open.

No lanyard at all when turning on = switch open.

Lanyard pulled when key is ON = switch closes.

So when the lanyard wearer falls overboard with the lanyard you can still start the boat by turning off then back on?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the lanyard goes overboard then motor will crank but not start.--------A spare lanyard clip needs to be used !!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I never tested it further than knowing when the wires came apart it wouldn't start.