1996 Johnson SPL 28 ignition key wiring

My SPL 28 will not start, electrical problem.
When I started and ran last, then returned to dock, turned ignition key to off, would not stop. Stopped it with choke. Then would not start. I pulled ignition key switch, two loose wires. Where do I start? Will a picture of ignition key provide someone a starting point to help me? I've ordered a Climers manual. I'm a retired engineer, can normally solve most problems. Any advice, suggestions welcome. I'll post pictures tomorrow, if needed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get yourself an OMC Factory Service manual and go from there. That Clymer manual can replace the Sears catalog you have in that "house" out back.

My problem still exists, but great advice on Climers. I had ordered on Amazon, and it's on the way back!
Poor quality pictures, nothing about my problem.

Fed

Commander
It probably wouldn't stop because of the loose wires, the black/yellow needs to be grounded to kill the ignition.
Note the M to M connection in the OFF position in the link above.
I assume you reconnected them.

Is your question now, "Why won't my motor start?"

I did reconnect to what I thought was correct position. But with my selection, motor would not start, no electricity to spark plug.
I have ordered a OMC manual from eBay.
I will study the drawing, and try a few things tomorrow.
Yes, why do I not have a spark, thus no start.
Thanks very much for the link to the wiring diagram. I have searched for something like this diagram. I think I can correct using diagram. The kill switch does not exist, replaced by a shunt / jumper.
Diagram is a huge help, again, thanks

Last edited:

Fed

Commander
The kill switch does not exist, replaced by a shunt / jumper.
Makes no sense, kill switch closes to kill.
Is your kill switch part of your key switch?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There is a sticky at the top of this forum page. It has your ignition switch diagram and the posts to test with an ohmmeter in the various positions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the two M terminals are connected the engine will not run. That's what kills the engine -- not what makes it run. The big red wire goes to the "B" (battery) terminal on the switch. The black and black yellow wires go to the two "M" (magneto) terminals. The "S" terminal is the starter solenoid, the "C" terminal goes to the primer solenoid (choke),

Thanks to everyone that offered solutions. I followed the advice of Silvertip, I made sure that B, M, S, and C were right.
Removed the jumper and other wire. It started on first try.
Back in the water tomorrow, yeah!