QD-16 1955 10 hp white goo (grease?) coming out near prop

odaytripper

Cadet
I've asked things about this motor before, and y'all have been awesome. Here's the latest:

It's running well now! I'm actually starting to trust it and almost ready to call it "reliable." It really helps to have the spark plug screwed in so that it doesn't lose compression. Who would have thunk it?

The motor starts right up after sitting overnight. Which is awesome!

Here's the problem: when I start it, it kicks an initial circle of little floating off-white droplets into the water. That's it: One shot of white drops that expand outward on the surface of the water to create a broken circle of droplets a few feet across.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that's an illegal discharge.

maybe an hour after pulling the boat out of the water last night, I noticed goo coming from a hole (exhaust? dunno) on the shaft near the prop. Just kind of oozing out. I assume it's the same glop, but it may not be.

What's happening here?

A mostly unhelpful search using the Googles leads me to think it might be:

1) leftover unburnt crap from the compression problems (that will go away and be happy on its own eventually)
2) some sort of bad seal thing (for which I have no idea what to do)

so, what do y'all think?

Thanks, Drew

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You mix oil with the gas. Every morsel of that oil goes through the engine as it runs. Some gets burned (smoke), and the rest goes out the exhaust, where it mixes with the spent cooling water, creating an emulsion. You are seeing that emulsion. If it is running well, it is normal. And stay away from lawyers (just kidding, lawyers).

lindy46

Captain
Yeah, the old motors were (and are) not envronmentally friendly. If you are concerned, you can use biodegradable oil 2-cycle oil.

odaytripper

Cadet
Yeah, the old motors were (and are) not envronmentally friendly. If you are concerned, you can use biodegradable oil 2-cycle oil.

My concern is more along the lines of "That's all that it is?" Y'all don't think there's anything to worry about here? Okay. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Probably one of the most-asked questions here. People see that scunge and freak out.

My old 6hp does the same thing... It's been doing it for years. No worries at all.

It leaves a nice thick sludgy puddle on the garage floor. I call it 'separation anxiety'. The motor is simply telling you to take the day off from work and go fishing.

At least, that is what my motor tells me all the time.

OMCfan

Seaman
I have a QD-16 and QD-17 and they both run great and both produce the same oily mix. That is just the normal. Green Earth Technologies makes a good biodegradable 2-cycle marine oil.