97 evinrude v6 150 hp

Procraft01

Recruit
I was idling and my check engine alarm came on it was a constant alarm and if I'm not mistaken that's a fuel restriction? After the alarm it started smoking blue smoke excessively like any 2 stroke would if it had way to much oil( my motor is 2 stroke). It will crank and idle fine but when you try to accelerate it boggs like its starving for fuel. It does have the vro system. Looking for help please. Is it possible for the fuel pump to go out and pump oil only? Would this be the reason for all the excessive blue smoke?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
if the VRO (actually OMS) pump went bad, I doubt you would get the check engine alarm. The sensor is a vacuum switch on the fuel line. I doubt a faulty OMS pump would cause a vacuum on the fuel line.

Your motor will pump more oil, if the gasoline gets restricted. Since you have the alarm, I expect that is what is happening. Does the primer bulb collapse? If so, check the antisiphon valve in the fuel tank. Change the water separator if you have one. Also, check the main strainer, under the airbox for dirt.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
UPDATE: Credit to Chris1956, the symptom of excessive smoke doesn't mean a bad VRO, but a tell that there is fuel restriction.

not sure if you have the System Check or not...but the following are the only two reasons that the horn stays on continuously.
1 - overheat
2 - fuel restriction

1 - you'll need to test each head's temp sensor for proper functionality. Remove each one, you're checking for lack of continuity between tan wire to the sensor...then boil each of them and quickly test for continuity it should be present at boiling for sure....if you have a thermometer, test when the lack of continuity returns, the sensors should open up I would expect around 160 degrees maybe less (I don't actually know)

2 - test the vacuum switch that is near the VRO pump (I assume you have one for this year)
Part #26 in this diagram (it looks like this forum doesn't like competeing links)
wwwDOTboatsDOT.net
then cut/paste this
/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1997/BE150NXEUE/FUEL%20BRACKET%20&%20COMPONENTS/parts.html

to test that you can disconnect it from the fuel line, attach a vacuum gauge/pump , turn the ignition to the ON position and squeeze the vacuum pump....the horn should sound at 5hg I think.

if the tests for #1 come out fine, then you either have a bad vacuum switch or fuel line blockage....just systematically walk through each fuel line run and test for blockage.

I had varnish granules in my tank...walked through the fuel line runs and got some out of the lines, but not really blocked...it wasn't until I got to the pickup tube at the tank that I found the blockage. I hooked up a piece of fuel line to the pickup tube, then a primer bulb, then another piece of line, into a clear filter, then another fuel line into a portable tank...pumped the bulb until it wouldn't suck anymore(sucked flat)....then worked on getting that blockage cleared various ways....finally did..primer bulb would fill up again...changed out filter and pumped some more until I got clean gas..

Not a VRO pump problem.

Last edited:

Procraft01

Recruit
Thanks for all the input. The cone shaped filter hooked to the fuel line was clogged with black granules. Back on the water!

Procraft01

Recruit
While checking everything i went ahead and did a compression test and all 6 cylinders have dropped around 85-90 from 4 years ago they were 112. How long should i expect this motor to last with the drop in compression?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
While checking everything i went ahead and did a compression test and all 6 cylinders have dropped around 85-90 from 4 years ago they were 112. How long should i expect this motor to last with the drop in compression?

same guage?.......was the motor warm or cold on both tests??.........

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, As long as the compression was even across the cylinders, the motor is fine. I suspect your gauge is inaccurate.

Compression gauges need to be reliable and accurate. I suspect your's is only reliable.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the input. The cone shaped filter hooked to the fuel line was clogged with black granules. Back on the water!
cool....

see if you can edit the first thread's title to include FIXED either in the front or back.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Oh yeah good point....does that sound like the inner lining of the fuel hose disintegrating to you? That ain't normal

actually with todays fuels...it is normal!!!!!!!!!!.... you should replace all the fuel lines with alcohol resistant lines