62 johnson 40hp carb rebuild.

just got my rebuild kit in the mail from iBoats, I'm gonna attempt to get it done this weekend, I have never rebuilt a carb before so any advice will be appreciated, the motor runs now, but something is not right, I pump up the fuel ball, I see the fuel fill the bowl, then when I start the motor, the bowl emptys and the motor runs real rough, gas spills out of the front of the carb. when I shut it down there is a lot of fuel dripping out of the weep hole just above the prop.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked fuel pump diaphragm ?--------And it sounds like float / float valve needs replacing in the carburetor.------" rebuild " is not a term I use.----I like to think these carburetors need cleaning / inspection / new gaskets.

I've read in some posts that some unburned fuel coming from the weep hole above the prop is normal for this motor, but how much is normal, seems like a lot to me? I end up with a small puddle of black sooty gas on the ground after I turn it off.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don't run that motor on muffs. Deep in a barrel (about half way up the shaft) or in the lake.

You need back pressure to do any kind of tuning, although it sounds like you may have some kind of carb assembly issue. It's possible to put the float in upside down, for example.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those engines will discharge unburned fuel out the exhaust as part of the crankcase bleeding system. A flooding carb will certainly lead to excessive fuel being in the crankcase. Did you get a new float for the refreshing of the carb? If not. it would be a good idea. Setting the float is easy. Invert the carb and adjust float so the top surface(bottom when inverted) is level and flush with the gasket surface of the carb body. Initial settings for the mixture needles: 1 turn open for the low speed needle. A 62 should have a fixed Hi-speed jet. Careful handling the hot water choke system, it can not be dunked in carb cleaner.

yes I replaced the float and float valve, new gaskets, I will take the carb back off and check to make sure it is adjusted correctly, when you speak of mixture needles, are you referring to the rich, lean adjustment at the front of the carb?, and should I assume that closed is lean, and rich is open?......... again I truly appreciate this forums help!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes that is the idle mix needle, older engines, pre 1962 had an adjustable hi speed mixture control. The initial setting 1 turn out is from 'lightly' seated(closed). Too much tightening can damage(groove) the taper and make adjustment very erratic. counter clockwise is richening, clockwise is leaning