2001 Johnson 90 cranks but won't start

Powza

Cadet
I brought my boat out to the lake and it ran fine but once I brought it back, the engine just wont fire. It cranks and cranks but doesn't fire.

Engine: Johnson 90hp
Model: J90VLSIG

Powza

Cadet
So I looked at the switch oiled it a little pressed hard for the choke and it fired right up. Could the ignition switch be bad? Should I just replace it and if so what's the part number?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Look in the sticky at the top of the page. It shows how to test your key switch with an ohm meter. They do go bad. Your local dealer should be able to set you up with an OEM switch. They are the only switch that I will recommend.

Powza

Cadet
I think I narrowed it down to the choke solenoid. When I flip the red manual choke up it fires right away. When I hold the key choke in I don't hear anything from the solenoid

rPuWw2d.jpg

Powza

Cadet
Tested the choke solenoid to 12v and can now hear it click. The ohms reading is 4.5 which is in the prescribed service manual range of (4.0-7.0 ohms)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That's not a choke solenoid. It is a primer solenoid. It is simply a valve. Pressing in on the key you should hear one click as the solenoid engages and maybe another when the key is released. With the key held in, fuel can pass through the solenoid actuated valve to enrichen the fuel mixture. You also need to squeeze the primer bulb until firm for first start of the day. After that this should not be necessary. And it was suggested you check the "kill" (man overboard switch) which is the lanyard you attach to yourself to kill the engine should you be pitched overboard. What you checked is the "ignition" switch.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Key switch sounds faulty based on what you've done. you have two choices

pre step - take a picture of all the wire colors going to what terminal.

1 - remove switch and soak it in wd40 overnight and try it again the following day
2 - buy a new switch...

I'd go with the latter, less mess

Powza

Cadet
Installed the new switch and now I can hear the solenoid click when I press for choke. Fires right up

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
see if you can add the word FIXED to the first post's title so people know there is a fix in this thread..