Outboard Losing Power at High Speed - Evinrude 30hp 1995/96

Mike Nolan

Recruit
Hi All,

I?m having issues with my outboard losing power as I increase the speed. It?s a 30hp Evinrude, most likely a 1995/96 model (not sure of the exact model).

Starting the engine, idling, and running a low speeds it has no issue. It?s when I start to increase the speed that it starts to lose power and rev quite erratically. As soon as I pull back the throttle it runs fine.

I?ve uploaded a few videos onto youtube of the issue occurring as I increase the speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lwf96CGgoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alON8wwqIU

I got the boat in January, and had a similar issue a few weeks after buying it. That issue turned out to be fuel starvation due to a leak in the fuel pump. After a service, new fuel pump, and $750, the boat ran great for 2-3 months. I use by boat quite regularly, so it probably had about 20-30 issue free trips before it started occurring again.

Given the previous issue and advice I?ve read online, I suspected this was also a result of fuel starvation. I?ve done the following checks on the fuel system:
  • Checked the fuel line is pumping through plenty of fuel (fuel line was replaced in January)
  • Loosened the screw on the fuel pump, and pumped the primer bulb. Plenty of fuel comes through
  • Removed the screw at the bottom of the fuel bowl, then pumped the primer bulb. Penalty of fuel comes through
  • I?ve also visually inspected all of the hoses from the fuel line connection, through to the fuel pump, and through to the carburettor, all of which appear to be in good condition with no signs of leaks or loose connections
Through all of these checks I can?t find any issue. I?ve tried using different fuel and had the same result. I?m also very precise when mixing in the 2-stroke outboard oil.

When the boat was serviced in January, the spark plugs we?re replaced and the mechanic was impressed with how good the compression was considering the engine?s age.

My next thought it to take out and clean the carburettor, however I?m reluctant to do so before I get more advise on the matter.

Any suggestions or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more details please let me know.

Thank you!

Mike Nolan

Recruit
Hi Racerone,

Can you elaborate a bit more on why you think it's an issue with the waterpump impeller?

Reason I ask is it was a new impeller kit was installed when it was serviced in January.

Regards,
Mike