Non OEM Starter for 78 Evinrude 70 hp

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I went the cheap route!!! OEM starter went out, Instead of purchasing the $200 OEM starter I purchased an aftermarket replacement from a company in Ga. for around $60. Boat been in water about 4 times and the starter is starting to not engage unless I spin the gear.
Is their a reliable aftermarket starter or should the OEM be the way to go. The saying, "you get what you pay for" seems to apply here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would first take the original starter apart.--------Do a simple test on it and perhaps replace the brushes.----------I replace brushes on these and they cost me $4.50 a set.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some say----" The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten "-----But we do live in a throw it away society.----Folks are scared to go to repair shops.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried to have it repaired. I could find no one in my area to do it.

Is my best bet to purchase the OEM or is there a reliable company who makes a good starter? I found several companies who produce these starters, not sure which route is best. I really dislike being stranded on the water!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the starter drive.----Find and fit an o-ring to go underneath that drive.----Re-assemble.-----Test run it.