Does 79 Evinrude need power steering?

T0mmyboy

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of replacing a broken down and a bit under-powered 1972 Johnson 20hp with a 1979 35 horse Evinrude on my little 14 foot Crestliner Commodore. The weight of the two engines is amost identical, them both being twins. Looking at the specs further I see that the Evirude came equipped with power steering. Is this something I must use, or can I use the same old simple manual cabel wire remote steering that I used for the 20 horse. The last thing I want is to complicate matters. Excuse the lack of proper boating knowmeclature, I am new to boating. Thanks for any help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think you are confusing the single push pull cable with power steering.----No such thing is / was available on a 79 model 35 hp motor !!

T0mmyboy

Cadet
I think you are confusing the single push pull cable with power steering.----No such thing is / was available on a 79 model 35 hp motor !!

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Evinrude__35953__35hp__1979/bpe/57e8156

Perhaps I am. I was just reading the specs here on iboats (link above) and saw that it comes with power steering. I googled it and saw helm pump this and that and thought. Uh oh...better ask on the forum.

So the single push-pull cable I currently have is what is also on the 79 Evinrude?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess i have to repeat.----No such thing as power steering available from the factory in 1979 !!-----Note , some young folks who write these specs have no hands on experience.--Have not been around motors for nearly 50 years either !!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Information on this page has come from multiple third parties and can not be guaranteed to be accurate.

This says it all. Probably the writer meant power tilt.

T0mmyboy

Cadet
Roger that...mystery solved then. Its just that the terms were confusing. Thanks guys

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sadly some folks read this stuff on more than one website and take it to be a fact.---If you do not know , then you can not recognize these errors / mistakes / blunders.----I can not recall power tilt as a factory option for a 79 model 35 hp.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sadly some folks read this stuff on more than one website and take it to be a fact.---If you do not know , then you can not recognize these errors / mistakes / blunders.----I can not recall power tilt as a factory option for a 79 model 35 hp.

Power tilt was a better clueless guess than power steering. LOL

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Probably meant since it was an Electric Start model it could be equipped with Remote Steering

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

No such thing as power steering available on those, but HYDRAULIC steering could be bought as an expensive aftermarket system. I know 'cause I made them. Company (Hynautic) is out of business now. Sold out to Teleflex.

Attachments

• photo265071.jpg
    photo265071.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0

T0mmyboy

Cadet
No such thing as power steering available on those, but HYDRAULIC steering could be bought as an expensive aftermarket system. I know 'cause I made them. Company (Hynautic) is out of business now. Sold out to Teleflex.

Looks way too rich for my blood