1986 Evinrude 120hp Won't Start Without Starting Fluid

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I had an issue with the motor bogging down,,,after rebuilding the carb's, changing the fuel pump (to the new style) and fuel lines..I took the boat out today...I tried starting the motor ..it would not start...I sprayed a little starting fluid into each carb and the motor would run and idle high.. The motor would idle at times but hard to start again...I thought it was because of the new fuel pump..So I sprayed a little starting fluid into the carb's and the motor started right up but it ran pretty high...I closed the choke by hand and it seemed to idle ok.. And off I went the boat planed very well no issue's... about 2 miles out the motor died and would not start again I tried pumping the bulb the fuel bulb seem to get a little hard, but I saw no fuel going into carbs..had to use my trolling motor to get me back in...(that was a long trip)...not quit understanding why it's not getting fuel sometime's and none other times Does any one have any idea's what could be going on with this motor....

Thanks Mav

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Was the primer bulb collapsed when the engine ran and died Will it start if you spray some gas-oil mix into the carbs? If so will it continue running if you continue spraying fuel into it? If it does you may have an inoperative fuel pump, plugged fuel lines, filter, fuel pick up in tank, tank not venting, or enough dirt/gum/varnish loosened in the lines to plug up them. That engine doesn't have a choke, it has a means of spraying fuel into the intake manifold for cold starting.
You said "new style" fuel pump. ????
'Starting Fluid', I hope you aren't referring to the Ether Spray used for diesels? That stuff can and has ruined many two stroke gasoline engines. It is not only very good at washing away oil off the crankshaft, connecting rod, and piston pin bearings, it is possible for it to ignite in the crankcase instead of the combustion chamber.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no " choke " on that motor !------So are you pushing in the key when cranking it over ?----Do you understand the way the primer starting solenoid works ?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for responding, No the fuel bulb did not get soft...Its just not getting any fuel and I don't know why...As far as the new style fuel pump I posted some pictures..This whole thing started because the motor would idle but would bog down when given power..I thought it was the fuel pump, so i changed it out, I cleaned and rebuilt the carb's..I changed out all the fuel lines except the one going to carb's...When i pump the bulb, i see no fuel going to the carb;s..The bulb gets what somewhat hard...What i don't understand, is what would restrict the fuel to the carb's...I checked everything I could...

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Attachments

• photo265149.jpg
    photo265149.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1
  • photo265150.jpg
    photo265150.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 1

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It looks like that new pump requires a barb for the pulse input(?) Is your assembly correct?

Is the tank vented properly (can feel fuel pass through the bulb?). Is the screen in the tank blocked?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
The new fuel pump has 3 barb's, One for intake fuel, one out flow to the carb's and one for the pulse..When i pump the bulb, the bulb would get somewhat hard, so i replaced the bulb, but it did the samething...still no fuel to the carb's....so at this point, new fuel pump, new pump, the tank is well vented no problem with the draw from the tank..the screen is not blocked..This motor has been on 3 different boats and it did the same thing on all 3 boats...no fuel

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Primer bulb should obviously push fuel through the connection at the motor, and through the fuel pump. I would disconnect the pump line at the carb and see if you are getting fuel to the carb using the primer bulb. If nothing, work backward to the fuel pump and the connection at the motor.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
When I was stuck on the water and ran out of starting fluid, I disconnected the fuel hose from the main carb in, I pump the bulb and fuel came out, I pumped a little fuel into each carb...So i know fuel is being taken from tank and into the main fuel line..that where it stops...it goes no further....the main fuel line in, goes into a t-vavle with 4 outlets..I'm assuming some fuel is going to the carbs, because the motor would idea for about 30 sec. before dying... could this be a re stricken at the t-valve

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could be you have an air leak,probably at the manifold.If you have had the carbs off,maybe the faces are not sealed.
What is probably happening is the starter fluid helps start the engine,and it runs until it overheats due to the air leak weakening the mixture.
Never use the ether spray,it's lethal.A few drops of fuel in the plug holes will start the engine,but the weak mixture will still cause overheating.
2 strokes with an air leak will always play up.Hopefully it is not the crankcase seal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you tested the operation of the electric primer valve , yes or no ??

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

no I have not tested the operation of the electronic primer valve. I went out this morning and check to see if I had fuel in the in the fuel bowls there was fuel in the fuel bowl, which tells me the carbs are getting fuel period but why isn't the fuel being burnt that's the question. I took a look at my spark plugs they were kinda wet but nothing to worry about. but they were black I'm going to try to post a picture of them. that's the crazy part if I'm getting fuel to the carbs but the fuel is not being burnt I don't understand that

Attachments

• photo265171.jpg
    photo265171.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Test operation of the electric primer valve.----Do you hear a click with key in the " on " position , when you push the key ' in "

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Yes there is the click....I alway listen for that....this is a strange one for me if the float bowls are full of fuel there should be no reason for this motor not to start I'm getting spark I know that because when I put starting fluid in there she starts right up without spark she wouldn't do anything, so at this point I'm getting spark I'm getting fuel I am searching right now for any air at the carb's...I changed out the spark plugs hoping that had something to do with it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So does the primer valve let fuel flow through it when you push the key in and the motor is cranking over ??--That fuel would bypass the carburetors and motor should fire up just like you spraying the starter fluid in there.--This primer does exactly the same as you spraying the fluid in there.--Carefully remove one of the small hoses and do that test !!

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I took one of the hoses off of the fuel manifold and squeezed the bulb...fuel came out of the fuel manifold secondly I took and 4 of the small hoses from each of the carburetors...all getting fuel...that's what I can't understand if all four carb's are getting fuel...this motor should be starting the fuel is only 2 days old....so I pump some of the fuel out of the tank as soon as I spread into the carbs the motor wants to run...the fuel bowls are completely filled I dumped them out earlier and now they're filled again so I have no restrictions don't know what this is ...on paper the motor is doing what it's supposed to do pumped if you but not starting

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One last try----The electric primer is a valve.-----It is NOT a pump.------When key is pushed in WHILE cranking fuel is squirted into the engine for instant starts.----That fuel by-passes the carburetors.-----So I suggest you visit your local shop and politely ask them to explain to you how simple this is.-----Once you grasp this concept your trouble shooting will be easier.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
that I would have to check but I emptied the fuel bowls, and after trying to restart the fuel bowls were fulll again..so I'm assuming it's allowing fuel to pass through and if that fuel is sitting on the bottom of the fuel bowl and not being ignited I don't know what would prevent that

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I give up !----But explain to me what you think the electric primer valve does .

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You said you rebuilt the carbs, you did use carb kits specific for that yr of 120?