Fuel/Water Separator for 2000 Johnson 90hp

Powza

Cadet
I'm looking into getting a fuel water separator for my engine. I don't know much about them so i'm looking for advice on what I should be looking for that's not very restrictive on the engine.

Engine: Johnson 90hp
Model: J90VLSIG
Year: 2000

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Any modern Marine grade will work. Quicksilver makes one. They accept spin on filter/seperator. I would bet you can buy one right here on this site.

You will want to plumb it with 3/8" hose.barbs for your system.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
IMO you should avoid the type with a clear plastic "bowl" on the bottom, those are prone to fail. As said above, stick to the simple type with a spin on that looks like a car's oil filter. Sierra makes them, too, identical to QS and likely a few bux cheaper. I'd advise a 10 micron rating for any imjected application, maybe 21 if carbureted.

Powza

Cadet
So I just installed a screw in one was $50 3/8 at west marine. New primer bulb and line. For some reason I can't get the bulb hard no matter how many times I press. The motor starts and I even let it run for 10 minutes. What am I doing wrong? Tank > Seperator > Bulb > Motor

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is arrow on bulb pointed in the right direction? When pumping bulb hold it so the arrow is pointing up. If that does not work, and you can feel fuel in the bulb, open the hood while squeezing and see where the leak is. Do not expect the bulb to stay firm while the motor is running, thats not how they work.

Powza

Cadet
Is arrow on bulb pointed in the right direction? When pumping bulb hold it so the arrow is pointing up. If that does not work, and you can feel fuel in the bulb, open the hood while squeezing and see where the leak is. Do not expect the bulb to stay firm while the motor is running, thats not how they work.

The bulb was horizontal. Once I pointed it vertical after 4 pumps now it's rock solid. Damn cheap West Marine bulb

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
IMO you should avoid the type with a clear plastic "bowl" on the bottom, those are prone to fail.
Motors that ingest water are known to fail at even a higher rates....

The ability to visually confirm the presence of water in the fuel system, and remove prior to your motor ingesting it, far outweigh the inconvenience of replacing a bowl if you where one of those affected.

A bit of background....a vendor had some ethanol related failures with a batch of bowls a while back.

The problem was identified. A service bulletin was released, and a reformulation of the material resolved the issue.