1973 9.5 johnson coughs and dies out

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
picked up a real clean looking 1973 9.5 Johnson. She starts and runs but will cough and die after a minute or so. adjusting the rich/lean doesn't help. took the carb apart expecting it to be dirty but it was clean. replaced the plugs, fuel pump, valve needle, coils, points and condensers. still runs the same. I missed something. at a loss. seems to smoke too much even at slower speeds(before it kills). plugs are wet with fuel.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks, found it.
Also noticed that at one time the head gasket was replaced. could that be an issue?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like it's flooding out. Is the float adjusted correctly? Try it a bit lower.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If spark does not jump a gap of 5/16" or better you have ignition problems.----Easy to test.------Pull the flywheel off.-----You will find 2 cracked coils or 2 newer replacements already.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure the 3 microscopic holes in the carb throat are clean. Their your idle circuit. There hard to see , shine a light down the the throat and you'll see 'em. Spray carb cleaner through all the passages and you should see it come through those holes.
Could be a bad carb, I had one on a 9.5 that I must have cleaned 10 times, same result. Put a known good carb on and ran perfectly.
Could be Leaky crank seals, crankcase halves leaking, check your compression for even #. Plus what others have said above

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If spark does not jump a gap of 5/16" or better you have ignition problems.----Easy to test.------Pull the flywheel off.-----You will find 2 cracked coils or 2 newer replacements already.

He has said he replaced several things including coils.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
just did a spark test...I believe it is a weak spark problem.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You said you replaced the points. Did you also clean them? And are they correctly gaped? Did you remove the mag plate to properly screw the plug wires in the new coils? Also you could clip a little bit off the ends of the plug wires and reinstall the springs and boots.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for all the tips....went back all double checked everything, did the snip the end of the wire trick and made sure the points are clean gapped that .020. still no luck. thinking one of the components is defective. or I somehow fried it. ordered a new ignition kit.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
what are the little red capsules included in the ignition kit for? cleaning the points?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
it is grease not oil. oil comes in a can this capsule is just like a pill you pull it apart and squeeze the grease out for the point pivot posts

the felt rub pad is oiled with 2-3 drops

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
It may very well be grease. But I do know that the Sierra ignition kit I ordered last year had oil in the capsule and not grease.