1967 Johnson 100hp starter not working

DemoMan55

Cadet
I just recently purchased a 1967 hydroswift with the Johnson 100hp outboard. before i bought it i went to the sellers house and we tried to start it using the starter, we could hear it click every time we turned the key to start, the starter would get warm but would never engage. After awhile it quit clicking and we resorted to using the pull start. we got it to fire up that way so i bought it. i brought it home and started working in fixing the common stuff. Now when i turn the key to start it doesnt click. i replaced the solenoid and it still isn't clicking. should i replace the starter itself as well? if so does anyone have a part number or link to the correct one for sell. Could it possibly be the ignition switch itself? the on light comes on and i keep all my lights and nothing resets when i turn it to start, it just simply does nothing. sorry if all this is probably easy, but this is my first boat that has an actual outboard, i have a smaller on with electric trolling motor, but this is all new for me. TIA

interalian

Commander
Check if you have 12V and ground at the solenoid's small terminals when you hit the key. If yes, check the fat wires - do you have 12V to the battery terminal of the solenoid? Do you have a good ground strap on the motor? Do you see 12V on the starter side of the solenoid when you hit the key?

PS: I see you have another thread. It makes it easier if you keep all your problems in one thread so we don't end up chasing our tails.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I haven't looked for the other thread, but I just gotta say something. First put the old solenoid back on. Then get out your trusty multimeter and do some voltage tests. If you don't know how to do that, you have two choices. Learn. Or get help from somebody. Going at it blindly and replacing parts (you mentioned replacing the solenoid and now considering the starter) isn't the smartest thing in the world to do.

In the meantime, the #1 place to begin is always with the battery connections. Don't just look at them, take them apart and clean everything shiny bright, then reassemble tightly. This often is all it needs, and costs you nothing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There may be a switch on the motor linkages that prevents cranking if throttle is advanced too far.----Perhaps that needs cleaning..----The starter is a geared down unit and will require lubrication of the gears and bushings.-----It must be taken off for that any way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
quit replacing parts as F_R mentioned. all the connections need to be clean and shiney. clean enough for you to eat off. this includes the battery connections, the connections at the starter solenoid, the starter, and where the starter mates to the block.

once done, seal all the connectors with marine electrical varnish

DemoMan55

Cadet
Sorry the other thread was confirming a part number or finding the right one for plug wires, didnt think it would need to go on this thread. Also i have cleaned most the connections, but havent tested anything with a mutimeter. also if there is a switch on engine linkages where and what should i be looking for? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am going to recommend that you switch the ignition system to a 1966 system with a coil / points / condenser.----Very reliable.----Perhaps it has been done already.----Pictures always help too.-----Take the starter off for lubrication as mentioned before, very important to do that.

DemoMan55

Cadet
so last night i was able to get starter to engage, it was a mechanical problem withe starter itself, i could not spin the nut on top that is connected to the gear that engages the flywheel, i turned it with a cresent wrench and it freed up whatever was binding it. i turned the key and it started turning over, but with a very bad grinding. the gear is not engaging the flywheel, and there was one point the flywheel and starter teeth were inline with eachother and wasnt meshing together. took the starter off and the smaller gear that is connected to the shaft of the starter is missing all but 3 teeth, the larger one that engages the flywheel also looks rounded and worn but not sure if its that, the flywheel or both that is worn. Point being, the starter is junk. but i cant find one with the house the gear that engages the flywheel sits in. is that gear able to come out of the housing? or is that discontinued and they have upgraded to a new design. i have found starters that look like the right one, but i dont want to order the wrong one and it not work. thanks for all the responses, its been very helpful, also i tried the old solenoid and it was bad so the new one was a good call to buy. TIA