1996 evinrude 150 Ocean Pro - starts, idles for 30 secs, dies

tc80211

Cadet
Hey Guys, did some searching and wasn't able to find this specific issue. I have an '96 Evinrude ocean pro 150 and it ran great all last season. developed a leak between the VRO pump and the vapor separator. So I replaced that gasket. All sealed up it fires up right away, no hesitation (whereas previously it would be a bear to start from cold but would run like a dream. Idle has been rough for a few years now). it will only run for about 30 seconds, pretty rough, then die. After a few cycles of this, it needs to sit for 10-15 minutes before I can start it again.

Doing this on the trailer using ear muffs. It's never acted this way before. Have not given it excessive throttle so unsure if that would keep it from dying.

Any thoughts on where to start to diagnose this??

bareboneii

Recruit
Can you keep it running if you hit the choke (prime) a few times when it starts stalling? Basically you have a fuel issue. Delivery, water, air leak, check valve to the tank. To restart it do you reprime or just let it sit? I had the same issue with my 1999 150 yesterday after it sat for a year. I did give a little a little throttle and kept repriming and hitting the choke. I pretty sure I had some water in the system somewhere that I had to clear out. It took 30 minutes or so but all cleared out and running now. Good Luck

Norsemen9

Cadet
I'm in the same boat!....pardon the pun.

Got a 1996 Ocean Pro 200 that's doing basically the same thing. I rebuilt the Fuel Pump, then rebuilt the carbs. She runs great above 1000 RPM, but will only idle for 15 seconds before she dies. I've been back through all 6 carbs and it's not much better. Mine is a bear to cold start also, and easy to flood with the choking mechanism.

I'm curious, you mentioned Vapor Separator? Is that the pulse valve that pushes air to the VRO?

tc80211

Cadet
Can you keep it running if you hit the choke (prime) a few times when it starts stalling? Basically you have a fuel issue. Delivery, water, air leak, check valve to the tank. To restart it do you reprime or just let it sit? I had the same issue with my 1999 150 yesterday after it sat for a year. I did give a little a little throttle and kept repriming and hitting the choke. I pretty sure I had some water in the system somewhere that I had to clear out. It took 30 minutes or so but all cleared out and running now. Good Luck

I will try the choke a bit more. Initially to start it I would just barely have to choke it, then it would restart fine, until I did it too many times and then would need to let it sit. Did not need to re-prime until after I let it sit for 10 min.

Thanks so much!

tc80211

Cadet
I'm in the same boat!....pardon the pun.

Got a 1996 Ocean Pro 200 that's doing basically the same thing. I rebuilt the Fuel Pump, then rebuilt the carbs. She runs great above 1000 RPM, but will only idle for 15 seconds before she dies. I've been back through all 6 carbs and it's not much better. Mine is a bear to cold start also, and easy to flood with the choking mechanism.

I'm curious, you mentioned Vapor Separator? Is that the pulse valve that pushes air to the VRO?

That gives me hope. Have never rebuilt the carbs, so hoping that will help.
I used this fiche to identify the gasket on vapor separator (#73 on diagram): http://www.go2marine.com/marine-eng...DB_1996/FUEL_BRACKET_&_COMPONENTS/25526/51141

tc80211

Cadet
Whelp. The boat won't start at all now. I suspect I ran the battery down with all the short bursts of starting and it not running long enough to charge... What kind of batteries do you guys run? 1 or 2?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
K, ready to begin?

1. Charge the battery.

2. Have it load tested. Any parts store does it free. If it fails buy at least an 800mca cranking battery. Not looking to start a battery thread; this reccomendation will be fine...

3. While at parts store rent a compression guage.

4. Preform compression check on all cylinders. Report back results.

5. While at parts store buy an open air gap spark checker.

6. Preform open air gap spark test set to 7/16" on each plug lead. Report results. You want to see a clean crisp blue spark with a snap sound.

7. Take a fuel sample into a clean clear cup. Let it set 30 min. Report what you see.

That's a good start to diagnose. This is a solvable problem but there are steps that must be done.

tc80211

Cadet
K, ready to begin?

1. Charge the battery.

2. Have it load tested. Any parts store does it free. If it fails buy at least an 800mca cranking battery. Not looking to start a battery thread; this reccomendation will be fine...

6. Preform open air gap spark test set to 7/16" on each plug lead. Report results. You want to see a clean crisp blue spark with a snap sound.

7. Take a fuel sample into a clean clear cup. Let it set 30 min. Report what you see.

That's a good start to diagnose. This is a solvable problem but there are steps that must be done.

Awesome. I will perform these tests this weekend and report back.

tc80211

Cadet
K, ready to begin?

1. Charge the battery.

Sooo. Now it starts. And runs. And idles. I have yet to get it on water to load test it but the idle sounds as it should, not excessive smoke or anything. I am beyond confused. All I did was clean the battery terminals and contacts for + and - on the engine. That's it!

Battery is def too small at 500 cold cranking amps so i'll snag an 800. I checked compression before running it and was within spec across the board. Will monitor closely and report back. Also took a sample of fuel and that is currently sitting. Will report back on that.

tc80211

Cadet
Alright. A new day and engine back to not starting. So I tested spark, NONE. On any cylinder. Fuel has no water in it and no fuel leaks that i can see.
Are we thinking the OIS is toast? Or maybe just the coils?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It could be any number of things. Do you have a manual? if so follow ignition tests. If not, go to cdielectronics.com and find your motor in tehir troubleshooting guide. Follow the steps. ask here for clarification. Follow each step in order! Thats the only way it works if you want to do this yourself.

tc80211

Cadet
It could be any number of things. Do you have a manual? if so follow ignition tests. If not, go to cdielectronics.com and find your motor in tehir troubleshooting guide. Follow the steps. ask here for clarification. Follow each step in order! Thats the only way it works if you want to do this yourself.

I don't have a manual but did visit CDI Electronics to start through the list. I don't have a remote starter so will need to figure that piece out. Otherwise voltages look good. Hoping to knock out more of the troubleshooting tonight after work.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
A inexpensive remote start switch is probably 15$ at a parts store.

The peak reading volt meter will be much more.

tc80211

Cadet
Got the remote starter and boom, fired up. then hooked everything back up, cleaned some connections and engine fired and idled well... let it run for a while then let it sit for an hour, fired back up. So now I am beyond confused. awesome.