Evinrude 2 stroke 70 E70TLCUR 1987 VRO rebuild

thatone123

Banned
The VRO pump leaks gas like crazy big time. The oil VRO was not used so just the fuel part of the pump needs a kit that I have ordered. Is it smart to just leave the oil lines not connected? They are not being used or may there be a vacuum issue of some kind? Seems pretty easy to rebuild these but cannot see how to remove the pump from the motor?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The oil side can not be rebuilt. Just put the fuel side in and continue mixing your fuel.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Take the air box off and you will see the mounting bolts for the pump bracket. I think there are 2.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Better check your fuel pump housing for cracks mine was cracked .

Um, just to clarify this, no offense intended...The VRO is the fuel pump with the way he has it set up. If, in fact it is leaking fuel from the oil side or the air motor side of the VRO, AND the fuel side rebuild does not solve the issue, then you would be way more cost effective to switch to a classic pulse type pump. One from a 48 HP johnson will work just fine. There will even be a place to mount it on the block but we can cross that bridge if you get there.....

Oh, I get it...You are saying the VRO itself may be cracked. yep it sure can although many times its the diaphragm/gasket between the two halves thats leaking.

thatone123

Banned
I was watching a video from the Australian guy with the Dagger Marine videos and he took apart a VRO and it looked fine. So does mine? Some other videos I saw where the diagrams had oblivious holes and tears but these look good?