Smoking in Barrel

tugboat80

Seaman
I have had a J15RENM some 5 years now; Very happy with it. In north Idaho, I store it 6 months a year under fogging oil in a 40 deg f shed all winter. Last year I suffered several bad fuel pumps until finding a good one. I run non ethanol premium gas with Evinrude XD50 lube. I today, sprayed OMC Engine Tuner into the carb per instructions, let sit three hours per instructions, then ran per instructions in bbl one hour and she still smokes. She has good compression 110 psi, Starts on first pull. I have run AC, Champion, Ngk plugs, she likes the ngk best but still smokes. Plugs come out clean but oily. Is this normal for a 25 year old engine with good compression?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
After using engine tuner you really need to be running WOT under load, basically, on a boat. 2 stroke engines will always smoke, they are burning oil. Think of it as Mosquito Control. What ratio are you mixing the oil? and are you making sure it is mixed? Pouring the oil in the tank doesn't make for mixing. Some pre dilution and agitation are needed

Nothing brings back memories better than the sweet smell of burnt good TCW oil

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it smokes, it is normal. Especially after dumping fogging oil and engine tuner in it. What is not normal, if if it does not smoke. Then you've got a serious situation.

tugboat80

Seaman
2.6 oz xd50 per gal of non ethanol premium added to tank before adding gas, to allow hydraulic turbulence. I am wondering if these two strokes use an oil control ring as four cycle engines do.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
2.6 oz xd50 per gal of non ethanol premium added to tank before adding gas, to allow hydraulic turbulence. I am wondering if these two strokes use an oil control ring as four cycle engines do.

Why would they? There are two or three piston rings, all the compression variety

You would be better off to put a gallon or two of gas into the tank, add the oil, shake, than add the rest of the gas and a bit more agitation

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No, they do not. Every morsel of oil that you put in the gas goes through the engine, used only once and is either burned (smoke) or goes out the exhaust.

tugboat80

Seaman
Does the lube deteriorate after a period of time (weeks or months) once it is mixed with the gas? Does it breakdown from the solvent property of the gas?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have had a J15RENM some 5 years now; Very happy with it. In north Idaho, I store it 6 months a year under fogging oil in a 40 deg f shed all winter. Last year I suffered several bad fuel pumps until finding a good one. I run non ethanol premium gas with Evinrude XD50 lube. I today, sprayed OMC Engine Tuner into the carb per instructions, let sit three hours per instructions, then ran per instructions in bbl one hour and she still smokes. She has good compression 110 psi, Starts on first pull. I have run AC, Champion, Ngk plugs, she likes the ngk best but still smokes. Plugs come out clean but oily. Is this normal for a 25 year old engine with good compression?

I would worry after running for an hour in a barrel rhat it might over heat!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

??? You must not understand 2 stroke operation? They are not trying to keep crank case oil out of the combustion chamber but ate trying to get it there!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You're doing it right -- know enough not to run on muffs as a first choice. That's good. Don't rev it unless you are in the lake.

If running cold, combustion will not be as complete, and can foul plugs, etc. An infrared temp gun is a good addition to the tool box -- should see operating temps in the 120-140F range, depending some on the lake temp. 160F is too hot. You have or should have a 140degree thermostat, and need to be running with a t.stat in place.

Get it out on the lake and run for a while.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you want it to smoke less you can try a different oil, synthetics tend to not have as much visible smoke, but some can smell bad. Premium fuel isn't doing you any favors, but it's not that bad either, just sort of a waste of money.

Until the motor is up to full operating temperature on the water you won't know how much it actually smokes, so do like already mentioned and run it hard for a bit.