1982 20hp Johnson - Belgian Derated - carburator conversion

lekhim

Recruit
Hi

I have 20 hp Johnson Seahorse outboard. I read a thread here but I am not sure if the conversion with my engine is possible. This thread here.
Motor code is: J20BFLCTE

Plan is to :
Make intake hole and carb outlet the same size - so it would work like 25hp motor
2. Install faster prop. Currently using 9 1/4 x 11"

Can someone help me out on this. Does it work like that on my motor?

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know on my 85' I was told only the intake was different and carb. is the same.

lekhim

Recruit
I know on my 85' I was told only the intake was different and carb. is the same.

You mean the Carburator is same for 20 and 25 hp or you mean 20 25 and 30 hp carburetor is the same?

Also. The name suggest that it is a derated motor. BF = Belgium Derated - Rope Start
How is the limiting being done?

If it is not Belgium Derated - then it is a J25RLCTE ?? 25hp - like that?

Last edited:

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
]Yes...mine is the Canadian derated.Before I new any better I ended up buying a intake and carb from a 25hp only to find out I wasted my money on the carb.Have a spare now.I wanted to keep my old intake and not mess with boring it out.

You mean the Carburator is same for 20 and 25 hp or you mean 20 25 and 30 hp carburetor is the same?

Also. The name suggest that it is a derated motor. BF = Belgium Derated - Rope Start
How is the limiting being done?

If it is not Belgium Derated - then it is a J25RLCTE ?? 25hp - like that?[/QUOTE]