1984 Evinrude xp150 VRO

PRYO_77

Cadet
Your motor should only have a VRO with no alarms so unless it's been upgraded to a VRO2 I'd convert it to permanent pre-mix.
Are there any wires going to the VRO? Identifying your VRO or VRO2 is important.

I guess this is why I'm assuming I have the VRO2...or am I not reading this right? Are you saying that the 84 originally had a VRO with NO alarms? Or are you saying that I shouldn't have any alarms...period. Which is obviously true.

Fed

Commander
Are there any wires going to the VRO?

All you have to do to check where the alarm is coming from is turn the key to ON then disconnect the following one at a time until the alarm stops.
Temp switch, other temp switch, vacuum switch, oil bottle level switch and the VRO if it has wires going to it.

PRYO_77

Cadet
The VRO does have wires going to it but the alarm won't sound unless the motor is running. It will not sound when the key is in the accessory or "on" position.

Fed

Commander
OK then you will have to disconnect first item then start the motor to see if the alarm stops, switch off & repeat for the other safety switches mentioned above.
If none of them stop the alarm you could have a faulty horn, one step at a time.

PRYO_77

Cadet
Hey guys...it's been a couple weeks but I was able to get working on the motor again today.

Things went really well! I adjusted the heigth of the shift rod...all that work for 2 turns. 2 turns made all the difference. The motor now shifts into both forward and reverse.

I checked all the VRO lines and made sure fresh oil was flowing from the tank. Primer bulb is good and oil seems to be pumping. I did pour 50:1 in the tank. Lotta smoke but I'm glad cause that tells me the oil is in there doing it job. The motor runs great on the muffs.

Now for the alarm. After the tests today...the alarm is still very intermittent. I checked all the grounds and disconnected all the alarm points I could find. But...When I turned the key this time to the on position before starting the motor, the alarm sounded and was constant. That has NEVER happened before. The alarm has only sounded when the engine is running. The alarm stayed on while motor was running. I then stopped the motor. Turned the key to the on position and there was no alarm. ?? Started the motor, no alarm. ?? Shifted into forward, alarm. ???Turn the motor off. Turned it back on...no alarm. Raised the fast idler lever, alarm. Turned motor off. Turned key into on posistion, alarm. Sheesh...

I'm thinking there some sort of short happening on the ignition. I watched a video where the guy had the same alarm happening and it was a loose connection on the ignition switch. I'll check that later.

I'm leaving on an extended vacation on the 2nd of July and won't be back till mid August. This has been a project for sure so if I don't get it out on the water before next weekend...I will later this summer.

But for now...any advice on the alarm coming from the switch would be appreciated. Thanks!

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
did we determine how many wires were going to the vro?
did we test the vacuum switch at the VRO?

when you first turn the key to run/on the horn should sound only once....it could very well be the horn itself.

you disconnected both temp switches, vacuum switch, vro pulg and oil tank plug? if you un-plug all of those and the horn still sounds whilst running then either a short or bad horn (Right Fed?)

Fed

Commander
Yep, bad horn or a short circuit to ground on the tan wire.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How many wires come off of the VRO pump.
3 wires is a VRO2 pump
4 wires is a later version OMS pump which is a really good design.
Or what color is the fuel outlet elbow a tan elbow is the Ethanol resistant VRO2 pump

Fed

Commander
I'm thinking there some sort of short happening on the ignition. I watched a video where the guy had the same alarm happening and it was a loose connection on the ignition switch. I'll check that later.
But for now...any advice on the alarm coming from the switch would be appreciated. Thanks!
Impossible to be the ignition switch, the guy with the video must be confused, got a link to it?

PRYO_77

Cadet
Well...maybe I haven't done everything.

2 wires coming from the VRO. Looks like a lamp power cord ya know? 2 wires together.

Here's the link to the video. The answer is in the comment section.
https://youtu.be/saKCCC6fAq0

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Well...maybe I haven't done everything.

2 wires coming from the VRO. Looks like a lamp power cord ya know? 2 wires together.

Here's the link to the video. The answer is in the comment section.
https://youtu.be/saKCCC6fAq0

you are going to need to take a pic...that sounds like the low-oil warning....I think you may have the original VRO with NO electronics for the no-oil warning.

IF that is the original VRO without the warning electronics....I would like to buy it off of you....

Fed

Commander
The guy who has that utube channel is an iboats semi regular named ib18, he is very confused.

From post #40
Do yourself a favour & go to the maxrules website, select 'technical specifications' from the menu then 'common wiring diagrams' then 'evinrude johnson wiring diagrams' then 'V-6 motors 1984'.
Phew!

Follow the tan wires from the horn to their final destinations.
The closing of any of the switches will result in a continuous beeeeeep.
Any short circuit of the tan wires to ground will do the same.
I suggest the unlabeled switch at the bottom of the circuit diagram will be the oil bottle low level switch.
I repeat, the tan wire must be grounded by a short or by one of the switches to sound the horn or the horn must have in internal short to ground.