What is difference between different HP powerheads?

crispins

Seaman
I have a 115 right now. What is the difference between that one and an 85 HP?

I guessed that it would be the carbs and exhaust but now am doubting that guess.

Is it intake and exhaust porting?

If I replace my 115 with an 85 powerhead would I then actually have just 85 HP?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You have to begin with some details. Year/model?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The lower HP blocks as in 88 hp have smaller intake ports.----Exhaust set up is different and machining is required to swap over the bubble back from a 115 to an 88 hp model.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Some of the 85hp had a smaller bore depending on year. You need a 1990 up block.

crispins

Seaman
Sorry for the lack of details. It was a late night post before going to bed.

I am looking at a 1991 Johnson 88 powerhead to replace my 1998 OMC 115 powerhead.

I am just doing research at this point. I have a May 29th deadline to get my boat on the water so weighing all options at this time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time goes faster as the weather warms up.-----You " may " not make the May 29 deadline.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would want to witness a compression test before handing over that kind of cash.--I know that for less than 1/2 that money I get the COMPLETE motor knowing it needs the typical rebuild!!----Complete means lower unit included too.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You have a couple of threads on this now, and not all the info people need to form a good answer are included in this one, they should be kept in one thread for your benefit.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There were two totally different 115s in 98, crossflow and looper.

Last edited:

crispins

Seaman
There were two totally different 115s in 98, crossflow and looper.

I posted a link to the ebay ad that has the motor listed.

it is all quite confusing to me.

I seriously just want to run out screaming and light the boat on fire.

From what I understand I have a crossflow power head. My boat is a 98 but seems they did not make my motor in 98??? So I would guess that makes my motor a 97.

My research states that the powerheads from 91-97 are all basically the same.

What I would like is to get my boat working ASAP and have it be reliable.

I am trying to figure out the best way of doing that.

I linked a motor on this post, it is not a 115 rated powerhead, so I should pass correct?

I would love if someone could take a bit of time and really give me some good direction.

I have tools, I have some money. I have some time.

Please how do I get this boat going?

It has a great hull and interior. I want to be out on the lake.

Thank you very much..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My research states that the powerheads from 91-97 are all basically the same.

Your research is that they have the same displacement.
Some, but not all Differences;
Cylinder Heads
Carbs
Exhaust tuning
Reeds
Crankcase stuffers
Engine Block

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
This is why it gets confusing when you have two threads going on the same subject.

​In the other thread I said there may be differences in the crank and drive shaft between the 98 and 91, and that you need to check a parts diagram to ensure you can drop the older powerhead on your pump. I also said you will most likely have a difficult time finding a parts diagram for a 98, so check the 96 and 97. It will be the same diagram for the 112 and 115.

​And I also said the diagram may tell you the length of the drive shaft, the longer drive shaft can be shortened, but you can't lengthen one.

crispins

Seaman
This is why it gets confusing when you have two threads going on the same subject.

​In the other thread I said there may be differences in the crank and drive shaft between the 98 and 91, and that you need to check a parts diagram to ensure you can drop the older powerhead on your pump. I also said you will most likely have a difficult time finding a parts diagram for a 98, so check the 96 and 97. It will be the same diagram for the 112 and 115.

​And I also said the diagram may tell you the length of the drive shaft, the longer drive shaft can be shortened, but you can't lengthen one.

I did as you suggested and looked at parts diagrams. All I could find was there were different part numbers which could be many different reasons such as crank or rod journel size differences.

Honestly it seems like my hopes of dropping a replacement powerhead are dropping quickly.

I think a rebuild of my powerhead is my best option.

I am thinking a quick and dirty ring replacement is most likely in my future.

I am also taking the advice from this forum (BTW all the advice I am being given I am using) and pulling the head and inspection covers off tomorrow to get a look at what I am working with.

I am thinking after I find out the shape of my cylinders I will start a new thread and that will be the one I stick with.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----Rebuild the one you have !-----Take it apart and see what it needs first.----You asked and this is " good direction to take "