Johnson Jw-14 not getting fuel

Benjir

Cadet
So I picked up a jw-14 this is my first run with an outboard motor and I'm not getting fuel into the motor. It will run a bit if I put fuel in the cylinders but will not stay running.

So far I've cleaned the carbs and made sure the float and needle were working properly. All the ports were clear. Not sure what's going on. Any suggestions?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Tank valve open and clear (fuel getting to carb)? Vent in filler cap open?

lindy46

Captain
Remove the gas line at the carb, open the fuel valve and tank vent and see if gas flows from the tank. If not, or if slow, you need a new fuel filter in the tank.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Clogged filter in the tank is a VERY common problem on those motors.

Benjir

Cadet
I cleared the filter out but that may be the problem I left it sit for a couple hours came back and it fired but it won't run with out the choke half way. Sounds like I might need to replace the fuel filter.

Benjir

Cadet
One other question off topic but should the propeller be loose like have play and move around a bit?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
should have a washer behind the prop nut -- might see if that is in place.

You may need to repeat carb disassembly, soaking and cleaning -- might have missed something, or loosened something from the tank filter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Item #31 clutch bushing in place??

Attachments

• photo263852.jpg
    photo263852.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
I cleared the filter out but that may be the problem I left it sit for a couple hours came back and it fired but it won't run with out the choke half way. Sounds like I might need to replace the fuel filter.

You can't clean those filters - once clogged, they are done for. Get a new one. Part #0277187. And make sure tank is completely clean before installing the new filter.