Cleaning shift shaft - 2004 Evinrude 200?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
I have 2004 200's. I've been told you can clean/lube up the shift shaft around the seal down in the LU or even put a new seal in and it will help with it sticking up when going in an out of neutral and sticking up on the shift interrupt switch.

Have the issue every now and then, but getting more frequent, when I pull back into Neutral and after a few seconds I will get an alarm. Have to wiggle the throttle and it will go away once you actually get it into Neutral or stops hanging up on the interrupt switch.

Someone told me the housing around the shift shaft gets crudded up and can be cleaned up or a new seal put in and it will help with that.

True or not? Is it worth me dropping my lower units to do before the season?

Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes , get 2 new o-rings and a gasket.---Detemine the shift rod height.-----Simple job.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
So you measure the height and then remove the rod fully, replace o-rings, replace shift shaft and spin in to correct height and then use the new gasket on the housing?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When that happened to my '98 Johnny 150,the shift rod cover had swelled so that the aluminum cover "grabbed" the shift rod. I had to replace the cover.

I would therefore recommend you inspect the area before buying any parts, New covers come with the orings installed.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the cover before I do anything.