1990 Johnson 4 hp starter recoil spring

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I have a 1990 pull-start Johnson 4 hp outboard (model J4RDHESR) that has a broken recoil spring on the starter mechanism. (The spring snapped right near the end that attaches to the cup assembly.

My first question: is this a fairly simple repair that I could do myself? I'm not a mechanic, but I am reasonably handy with my hands and tools.

Second question: which service manual covers this motor? I've found two that seem to overlap: I've seen one titled "1973-1990 EVINRUDE JOHNSON OUTBOARD SERVICE MANUAL 2-40 HP" and another titled "1990 2001 johnson evinrude outboard service manual 1 hp to 300 hp." Since my motor is a '90, I'm unsure which one might apply. (I've been looking at the latter manual on Boatinfo, but the reproduction is pretty bad; the photos are so grainy they're pretty hard to make out.)

Third question: assuming the correct manual, are there any undocumented tips to make the job simpler? I know when I replace the bellows on my main boat, there are some tricks and techniques that make the job much simpler that the manual does not mention.

Thanks for your help!

jim

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The manual on "Boatinfo" for 1990-2001 2-70 HP covers your engine but the best manuals are the OEM ones available from Ken Cook Co.

https://www.outboardbooks.com/manual/J4RDHES/ are the manuals for your engine.

If you enlarge the Boatinfo manuals to full screen and zoom in a little they become readable although the pictures are still not great

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks, Vic.S. I'm still trying to decide if this is something I can take on myself or if I'd be better off taking it in to have someone work on it. If I decide to work on it myself, I'll pick up the OEM manual. The boatinfo version is just too grainy to help much, even when the relevant pages are printed out.