1987 johnson 120 v4 has spark but no start with starting fluid

Chickendude1

Cadet
My 1987 johnson 120 v4 turns over just fine but has no spark in one cylinder but all the rest do with 1/2 inch jump. I am trying to make it at least sputter with starting fluid before trying to get too far into it, it has been sitting for about 5 years and ran fine when I put it away. I haven't tried putting fresh gas into it yet but that is the next course of action (I don't want to blow all the old varnish into the carb) and I am going to have to clean them anyway just wondering why I am getting nothing.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Whoa, halt. Do not try to do anything with five year old liquid, thats all it is at this point, it quit being gas a long time ago. Drain the bowls and compression test first. Report back results and if okay some one can talk you on from there.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Suspect compression, better have a look see. Bypass cover removal or head removal in my opinion. While all over 100 that's way to much of a spread to get it to run well.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sorry, guess I should pay a little more attention. Either way, I suggest inspecting bore. May just be stuck rings but it would suck to waste a bunch of effort getting it to run to find out you have real issues. Cheaper to look now than to wait.till you have it running good enough to try a decarb in my opinion, others will disagree.

Chickendude1

Cadet
so should I try a de-carb, borescope camera or take the head off. if I have stuck rings won't I need to take the cylinders off and pull the rings or can I put something like marvels mystery oil or something to unstick them

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You have to get it running well to de-carb. It may be expensive in time and parts to do that only to find that you need a ring job.

If you have access to a bore scope then sure, look for scoring. If present, or a bunch of dents in the top of piston, pull heads.

It's only ten minutes and a couple of head gaskets to visually inspect. Maybe 1/2 an hour.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The compression test shows major internal engine issues.--------Pull the heads and inspect.----------Perhaps a blown head gasket.

Chickendude1

Cadet
Thanks for the answers so far guys, I will order the head gaskets today and I will post a video when I take off the heads, also what is the head bolt torque when I put it back together?