59 Evinrude 35hp...Is this THAT Phillips Screw?!??

showngo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to revive a 59 Evinrude 35hp Lark. I've been focusing on getting it to run, and just today started looking at the lower unit. The manual talks about NOT REMOVING a Phillips screw on the lower unit, but I can't find it. I'm wondering if the screw has already been removed for me...there's a few holes that don't have screws in them. If this is where that Phillips screw goes, The Seloc manual is a little unclear about what to do when the screw is removed. Can you guys help?

Attachments

• photo263684.JPG
    photo263684.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263685.JPG
    photo263685.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263686.JPG
    photo263686.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Third picture, open hole in the skeg. Yep, that is THAT screw---or was before he took it out and couldn't get it back in.
The other hole is a drain hole.

showngo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Dang. Ok. So I guess I"m taking apart the lower unit and putting it back in. Anyone know what size screw it is?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It's a specialized screw with a smooth shaft on the outer bit and threads near the head. Called the Pivot Pin, part number 0308376. You'll also need seal #0307853 that seats under the head of the screw/pin.

IF you're lucky, you might be able to move the shift lever a bit and find the edge of the shift fork hole peaking out of the hole in the gear foot. Then, take an awl or pick and gently move the hole in the fork square into the hole in the gear case housing and put the pin in. Actually not all that hard to do...

interalian

Commander
If that screw was out and it's been in the water, you'll have had water in among the gears, along with the fact there's no oil. You'll need to take it apart for inspection at a minimum.

showngo2000

Seaman Apprentice
I was able to get the hole in the shift fork aligned with a small allen wrench poking around in it. Does the screw just need to go into one side of the shift fork? Or is it like a U-shape that needs to catch both a front and back side of the fork?

I've ordered the screw with washer and seal, but have am going to replace the impeller anyway. What should I look for when I dig into the lower unit? Rust?