1984 115hp outboard battery question deep cycle or flooded

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi
I have question I tried to research as I been told I can not use a a deep cycle battery on an outboard engine as it uses a rectifier and burns them out... or I cant use the mini kota dual battery charger... charges 2 batteries off the boat engine.. but I think I can but I was told you cant

I researched online I cant find anywhere people talk about using outboard engines and deep cycle batteries.. no problems

what kinda batteries can I use with this engine.. or any engine as I also have 115 Chrysler outboard and a 200 merc on different boats... but can I not use deep cylcles to charge top off for my trolling motor.... as I really wanted to use my dual charger mini kota can charge 2 batteries at once but I'm worried to burn out the rectifier for charging..

can you guys clariffiy things for me.. makes me feel I should have gotten an inboard boat

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
also like AGM batteries or any other type of battieries what can I use and cant use with outboards and why

fhhuber

Lieutenant
"Deep cycle" is a plate design factor. You can have deep cycle or cold cranking designed flooded lead- acid batteries. Its a bit easier with lead based batteries to get the high cranking amps for large engines from a flooded design than from a gelled electrolyte battery.

The true deep cycle batteries used for golf carts and warehouse fork lifts are flooded lead acid. (several hours running the cart per day, recharge at night and do it again and again maybe 200+ days a year... for 3 to 5 years battery life)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can use a deep cycle battery with an outboard, although they aren't exactly designed for this purpose, it will still work. The rectifier will not be harmed by charging a deep cycle battery...but...

​Don't expect any of those outboards to recharge a somehat discharged battery of any type, they're designed to keep a fully charged battery charged in between each time you start the motor, they don't have a strong system that will recharge a battery on the way to the next fishing hole. This means you need to use a different battery for the trolling motor.

​The Minn Kota charger, if it's the one I think it is, will work, but again, you don't have a charging system on any of those motors that puts out many amps, so you won't be charging anything quickly, and if you divide that up between 2 batteries it'll be even slower.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Much has been written and or claimed about the subject. Actually, it is more than one subject. As I see it, a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of outboards do not have voltage regulators and will overcharge a battery if you aren't using much of an electrical load. The battery choice is supposed to prevent or at least lessen the overcharging problem.

Secondly, you just have to face reality. You can only get out of a battery what you put into a battery. If you use 20 Amps, you have to put 20 Amps back in. (actually more, because some energy is lost in the form of heat) So, with the average outboard that puts out a steady 6 Amps you would have to run it for about four hours to replace that 20 Amps.

You can use as many batteries as you want. But now your 6 Amp charge rate is being divided among them. In theory, three Amps each, in the case of dual batteries. It takes a long time to charge two big batteries at a 3 Amp rate. I said "in theory" because the actual division depends on the internal resistance of the batteries. The one with the lessor resistance gets the most Amps.

Charging batteries will not burn out a rectifier. That's what the darn thing is there for.

OK, disclaimer: Yes, some motors have larger than 6 Amp alternators. And some have voltage regulators. But the math is still there.

Deep Cycle, Starting, Dual purpose: All that has to do with how well the battery can withstand being discharged and recharged. Some fail miserably on that score. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I have the same issue with my RV's house battery. Seems like I'm forever buying batteries.

interalian

Commander
Deep cycle flooded batteries are just fine for outboards, but you will need to shore-charge periodically to keep them in top shape. I use one on mine and it works fine all season without supplemental charging and it's many years old. It sits in the garage during hard-water season and I charge it now and then. Regular flooded cells don't appreciate being left at low charge or dead, and will rapidly sulfate. I'd stay well clear of gel type batteries.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Deep cycle flooded batteries are just fine for outboards, but you will need to shore-charge periodically to keep them in top shape. I use one on mine and it works fine all season without supplemental charging and it's many years old. It sits in the garage during hard-water season and I charge it now and then. Regular flooded cells don't appreciate being left at low charge or dead, and will rapidly sulfate. I'd stay well clear of gel type batteries.

This is correct. And to further complicate things usually the deep cycle batteries like to be brought up to a higher voltage than a regular starting battery to fully charge them.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi i dont know why i wasnt getting any updates as i forgot to look
reason i was asking is if you look at replacement parts regulator/rectifier it says
and I'm guessing deep cycle is a dry cell
as it states"

Do NOT use a Maintenance Free, AGM, or Dry Cell Battery with this type of Regulator/Rectifier
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0395204

as i wanted to use my MC2 minikota dc battery charger...

and is there a way to add a alternator to the flywheel gear?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
or am i wrong a deep cycle isnt a dry cell but they are maintance free are they not

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, you can't post links to that marine site because they are an iBoats competitor..
​iBoats is an online retailer as well, so...

​Anyway,
As far as I know, being deep cycle has nothing to do with dry cell or maintenance free..
​Maintenance free are batteries where you can't take the cap off and add distilled water..

You want a battery where you can take the caps off and add water..

Myself,
​I actually went down to my local auto parts store, and picked up a"Premium Marine/RV Dual Purpose" battery and use it on my 71' Johnson 50hp... Got one with 650CCA and 150 minute battery reserve capacity..

​I can add water to it if necessary, and it's used for starting, and my limited accessories.. (nav lights, bilge pump, and small fish finder..)

​It does just fine for me.. LOL

Definitely put a trolling motor on a separate battery..

For what it's worth..

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Dry cell, maintenance free available in both regular and deep cycle bats. Likewise with wet cell bats.

I use wet cell, deep cycle batteries for both starting and house batteries -- shore power charge for inboard, and portable garage charger for outboards. Bigger is better -- good for at least three to five years, in my experience.

interalian

Commander
Dry cell, maintenance free available in both regular and deep cycle bats. Likewise with wet cell bats.

I use wet cell, deep cycle batteries for both starting and house batteries -- shore power charge for inboard, and portable garage charger for outboards. Bigger is better -- good for at least three to five years, in my experience.

My current battery is close to 12 years old and still working OK. It's a maintenance-free deep-cycle unit. One of these days it'll let me down and I'll have to try rope starting my crossflow. That'll be a fun day.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
well this frustrating I boats doesn't email to notify you guys reply this is how I never found you guys replied it summer I just hit refresh on page
very frustrating
as for marine engine site I did it because iboats doesn't show it them or the specs all it shows was brp well big woop didn't help lol

so what is a dry cell then so then it is safe only reason I didn't wanna use deep cycle as it shows that the regulator is like 150-3xx American money and since I in Canada that's even more damn exchange rate didn't wanna burn this out.. that's why I wanted to maybe add an alternator like as a kid those generators you added to your bicycle wheel for the light I wanted to add to the flywheel gear that way it be safe...

and unfortnally Walmart Canada doesn't sell my battery but your usa Walmart does.. this is the battery I have hooked up
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-29DC-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery/131118029
and if the link doesn't work its the EverStart Maxx 29DC battery then you can look up... as I figured it was a dry cell or maintance free

and I wanted to use the Mini Kota MC2 DC battery charger to charge the main one and top off the deep cycle for a trolling motor on my one boat I fixed a 115hp Chrysler outboard 1978....

I just didn't wanna blow anything up right now the 29DC battery I have it hooked to the starting and powering the onboard stuff and no power off switch for the battery as I repaired motor last year and never got around putting a kill switch

interalian

Commander
That's not a dry cell battery. It's a deep cycle flooded lead acid cell (FLA). Try your local Costco or Crappy Tire. If the charger is a 'maintenance type' or 'trickle charger' or 'battery tender', it can be left on indefinitely to keep the battery in top shape.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Click on your user name up at the upper right. Click on user settings. Click on notifications. Select email notifications "on".

Not familiar with the MC2 charger -- seems like it acts like an isolator when running off your alternator. Think that should mean charge is directed to whichever battery has the lowest charge.

agree with interalian -- not a dry cell. Seems like a good one (maybe discontinued?) 850ca is a good choice to crank up the old Chrysler.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok I turned it on it was set to on daily but I never gotten ever a reply.

ah ok least I know I can use this deep cycle... so what exactly is a dry cell is that like a Duracell C A D batteries? so how does those type of batteries ruin rectifiers regulators

interalian

Commander
oh ok so I'm totally safe using this battery then I was worried... why are agms drycells whatever that is and maintance free batteries ruin these chargers...
and this the is the charger I have
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Batte...ator-Chargers/
the MC2 version 2 bank
least I know I'm safe

AGM means 'absorbed glass mat' and is not a dry cell. It's still a lead acid battery but the electrolyte is a paste rather than liquid, so they cannot spill, and can be mounted any which way you want to. And AGM batteries really hate deep cycling - easy to kill them dead.

D cell batteries have a different chemistry.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
this frustrating I getting no email notifications anyone replies frig sakes... even though its on

as for agm that's cool so you can lay it on its side then..

so how does a agm or this dry cell destroy the rectifiers regulators what does it do it them