Johnson 40 HP will not turn over

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 92 Johnson 40 HP VRO with Tracker Pro Series Controller. I hooked it all up but was getting an steady alarm. But the when I turned the Key the engine would spin. Today I figured out my Alarm issue. The wire harness that should plug into the Oil Pump was plugged into the plug for the trim controller on the engine side. They have the same plug. But the Trim has an extra wire. Anyway When I plug the oil pump in to the wire harness correctly the engine will not spin. Acts as if I have a dead battery. But if I plug the oil harness plug into the trim the engine spin. Seems really weird. Any ideas?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Post some pics of connections. This isnt making much sense off the top of my head...

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry. I will post pictures of the Trim plug, and oil harness plugs later today.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I am certain the previous owner did not live with those conditions in the daily use of his boat. what changed.... exactly to create this situation...

​ can you ask the PO if had any issues ? did he just do a flip on the boat ( buy & resell)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well without knowing anything else about your engine and setup, it seems that when you plug the two WRONG plug and receptacle together, it satisfies a path to allow the starter to spin up. So it would be a great time to buy a factory shop manual for your engine and view the schematic diagram to see how everything is supposed to be connected.

If you have a meter and can trace wires, you could see where the wires in the plugs go to and from and connect it up properly. Other then that, IDK. :noidea:

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well without knowing anything else about your engine and setup, it seems that when you plug the two WRONG plug and receptacle together, it satisfies a path to allow the starter to spin up.
It seems this was the case. I dug into this morning and found a broken plug to the Neutral safety switch. When I jump the 2 wires for the Neutral switch it seems to be fine. Now I need to replace the neutral safety switch.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It seems this was the case. I dug into this morning and found a broken plug to the Neutral safety switch. When I jump the 2 wires for the Neutral switch it seems to be fine. Now I need to replace the neutral safety switch.

Well bravo waterdog, good fine! Those Neutral Switches for your engine are easy to locate. Iboats probably even has them on here. Take a look see. Could save you a lot of searching and money. Let them know you are an iboater member and reap the reward. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Word of caution .------If you are not sure what wires do what or where they go then best to get help.---------Mistakes can lead to smoke and expensive repairs !

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Word of caution .------If you are not sure what wires do what or where they go then best to get help.---------Mistakes can lead to smoke and expensive repairs !

I purchased the Engine from a marine repair facility. They had all the wiring attached. I only attached it to the battery. The alarm would sound as soon as the battery was attached. It did it at the shop. I was tracing down the issue with the alarm when I discovered the oil pump was not plugged in those two plugged were not correct. I guess the way it was plugged some how bypassed the broken Safety switch.I'm going to try and track down the switch at some local electronic shops. I'm also looking for the Trim harness so I can connect the Trim switch on the Control. Right now it only works from the side engine remote switch.