1959 Evinrude 18 HP Golden Jubilee - Fuel Pump Addition Help.

Harpua

Cadet
Great site here. I have found lots of useful information for this strong running engine. Problem is, of course. the gas tanks condition. being that I have a trusty Johnson 9.9 - I figured it would be easiest to just convert the motor to a single line unit and run it around 24:1. I have seen a bunch of information about how to do it on 5.5's and some 10's, and leroys page seems to point me in the right direction, but he does also seem to take a technical curve with his information.

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a step by step with parts used somewhere on this site. I have searched and found amazing information, but nothing to make me want to dive into it tomorrow. any information will help, i am quite capable of taking older things and making them shiny and new Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is stuff plastered all over the internet on that. Suffice to say you need a pulse source to drive the fuel pump. There are two basic ways of getting that pulse source. One way is to go into the intake manifold and modify the existing air pressure valves. The second way is to drill and tap one of the bypass covers on the side of the motor for a pulse hose. Actually, there is a third way-- some bypass covers will accept a fuel pump directly.

OK having said all that, the first way is acceptable for motors that do not have bypass covers, and is quite complicated. Your motor has bypass covers, so make it a whole lot easier on yourself and use the second (or third) way.

Harpua

Cadet
thanks,. this is where i am right now also. i would like to find a cover from a 1961-1962 but I am sure they are scarce. I have seen stuff plastered on the internet, but nothing definitive or step by step, unless its removing the intake and removing a check valve and plugging a hole etc.,.,.

would rather drill and tap my own cover or find one that fits. any pics or links? i will continue to search and reports what i find here.

and thanks. this did help some by assuring i am on the right track.

does the Mizumis fit correctly? any other years bypass covers fit? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

If you have or can find a bypass cover with the pump mount, that is the best way to go. That will give a result just like newer motors.

There are several choices in pumps using a pulse hose, including the Mikuni. Also including the 18-7353 sold here at iboats. But, using that or any other will require you to use some creativity in mounting it. Yeah, some people even let it just dangle from the hoses. I'm attaching a picture of a conversion I made using a Briggs & Stratton pump on a different motor than yours. As you can see, I fabricated a mounting plate. I'm sure somebody will point out that I could have used the factory bypass cover mount. Yep.

Attachments

• photo246744.jpg
    photo246744.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 0

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
No Title

done a few myself..

​a bypass cover with pump mounting molding is likely the best way to mount a pump.... ( plug the nipple behind the carb !!)

​do find yourself a side mounted hose fitting for a single line hose

pump over a aluminum plate sealed over a drilled bypass cover works great also

​a nippled bypass cover to pulse a round or square Mikuni pump works good ( Round Briggs Stratton 808656 is actually stamped Mikuni in the back)

Attachments

• photo240450.jpg
    photo240450.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240451.jpg
    photo240451.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240452.jpg
    photo240452.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240455.jpg
    photo240455.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263623.jpg
    photo263623.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 0

Harpua

Cadet
ok. so basically:

1. locate bypass cover from new engine, drill a hole in mine and tap it or buy a mikuni fuel pump that may fit where the bypass cover is?
2. locate side mounted single fuel line connector
3. take hoses off gas bulb and nipple behind carb and terminate air nipple behind carb. replace gas line.
4. connect hoses to aftermarket fuel pump with 3 connections.

i think. what sizes should all the gas lines be?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Mikuni or B&S DO NOT mount on a bypass cover ....................... they sit along side....... pulsed by the nipple connection see pictures showing it

buy what fits on the nipples

​ the pic with the round B&S shows a way of mounting the pump on a triangular bracket I made using square angles and ftal bars .

the back one I left about 1 inch on a leg ( making a L ) and bolted it in the bumper support crossarm

Harpua

Cadet
thanks. i like the idea of the one with ties downs oin the pull starter, is that a johnson 18HP? the bypass cover looks the same sort of. what is the measurement of the NPT adapter you are using? do you have a picture of the front of that red one or any other pics of it, i would like to do the exact same or succumb to buying a redone tank.

sorry for all the questions, thanks.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I don't have the NPT size on hand... just buy one a bit oversize then just drill/tap the bypass cover as in pics. engine was a 15HP FD 10 as I recall (it is resting at the cottage for now)

​before you start the mods....FIND YOURSELF A SIDE CONNECTOR!!! otherwise rig something using half the dual line hose...

some folks have bee known to bypass the side connector and just install a long fuel hose directly from the pump inlet to the tank connector as a somewhat permanent installation like big engines do

Harpua

Cadet
I like the idea of a direct line. my fuel line is set up in stages already so it would be easy to make a short hose with a male connector to screw into the female one already there. i havent decided but buying the side connector would be easier. going to a local boat shop to see if they have any laying around their boneyard.
thanks again. i am ready to do this. just deciding on whether to buy an old bypass cover or drill it (i like old things and the ability to go back to stock., etc., )

also, is this the mikuni pump you used in the pic?

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Genuine-Single-Fuel-DF44-211-D/dp/B000GTV9AK

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
yes square mikuni but the round one is probably cheaper and works just as well ... up to you to choose

go on aomci free web adds and post a WTB want to buy add .... read and follow the rules on the add format otherwise it will be taken off

Harpua

Cadet
yes square mikuni but the round one is probably cheaper and works just as well ... up to you to choose

go on aomci free web adds and post a WTB want to buy add .... read and follow the rules on the add format otherwise it will be taken off

thanks for the tip. what do i want buy? think if i put up I am looking for a bypass cover fuel pump etc for a 59 i would get some hits? does $40 sound like a good deal to you for a bypass cover?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
you know what to do now

i can't vouch for asking prices. being an aomci member may help . I have received free parts and given parts for postage fees only . some folks may help for the sake of saving an oldy.

​good luck