1975 Johnson pull starter question

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
How's it going guys, I have a 1975 johnson 6hp. So yesterday I finall got my engine all ready to go and went to start it and on the 2nd pull the rope tore apart.i was so angry because I bought a few parts and cleaned the carbs and was really excited about getting the engine back in order. I looked at leeroys and it said for my engine it's a pain in the ass to fix the starter because of the spring underneath.Anyways, is there anyway I can bypass the pull starter for now and If so how can I get it started without using the pull starter? Any help would be great and well appreciated. Thank you

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The flywheel should have some notches for a rope. Tie a knot in one end and slip the knot into one of the notches and wrap the rope around the flywheel and pull.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
And don't be so afraid of the starter. It isn't so bad as people make it out to be. Just hope it didn't destroy the spring from the violent backlash when the rope broke.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the quick responses. I will try the rope method and see if that works. Also I will try and fix it but just need the time to get to it. Thanks again