impossible to find 25hp 1998 identification

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have just purchased a 1998 25hp Johnson outboard the i.d. on the leg is-JR25RLEEB,The serial number is-G04668104
I have searched the sites to identify the engine,but have had no success.
I am in the UK.So I imagine the engine was purchased new here in the UK.
The plate on the leg says Illinois,the power-18.7KW. The mass-54KG.
The carb has a 3 stage primer.
It's a manual start,with a longshaft leg.Manufactured 12-1998.
The numbers are quite clear to read.
Can anybody identify this outboard? I have tried all the options and drawn a blank.
It will be impossible to buy service parts without the correct identification

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
rope start,20 inch shaft,EE=1999,b is just a suffix run (dont mean much).

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Your problem in finding it may be because I think the first R between the J and 25 should not be there. If you search as J25RLEEB you should find it. As said it is a 1999 model.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm much obliged 175se,so if you owned the outboard,what details would you submit to obtain parts?
I have been on a couple of sites that supply parts,and they say the outboard is not identifiable.
I can't find the carb on any sites,this one has a flat plate on the top that is removable for access.
Without going into detail,on looking down the carb intake throat where the butterfly is,the main accelerator needle seems to be off centre in the jet.
It was a bit tricky to start when I bought it,the spark and cooling water was good,but the engine died when I increased the revs,ticked over for a minute,then cut out.
The fuel lines were full and the primer worked.We had to squirt some fuel in the spark plug holes to get it to start.
I suspect the previous owner has had the carb off,and misaligned the throttle needle.
I'm much obliged for then info,sorry to have wandered of the subject.

daselbee

Commander
Just buy parts for the J25RLEEB As mentioned above...that "R" directly after the "J" is odd...but the parts will be the same.

The needle in the throat is supposed to be off center. That part is called the nozzle by the way.

EDIT: I see they had two carbs for the 25 in 1999. IS this your carb?
Go to shop2.evinrude.com and navigate the site to find a J25RLEEB model. There will be two carb sections. Just study.

25 model carb.png

Last edited:

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks like my carb,many thanks for the info D.
Just to clarify,where the needle goes into the brass jet/sleeve,it seems to be touching the nearest part of the jet on the air intake side.
There is no needle shown on the carb diagram,and no butterfly flap.
Am I right in assuming the 3 stage primer plunger is to flood extra fuel into the carb,with it further out the volume of fuel is more?

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great bit of info D,I looked on the site and found the carb using J25 reeb,it was the carb you posted.
Many thanks

daselbee

Commander
That looks like my carb,many thanks for the info D.
Just to clarify,where the needle goes into the brass jet/sleeve,it seems to be touching the nearest part of the jet on the air intake side.
There is no needle shown on the carb diagram,and no butterfly flap.
Am I right in assuming the 3 stage primer plunger is to flood extra fuel into the carb,with it further out the volume of fuel is more?

Ok I am not understanding your question, but I will take a stab at it anyway.

The "needle" you are referring to...is that located inside the brass tube that extends down into the bowl?
If so, that is supposed to be offset and touching the side of the brass tube. That brass tube is the nozzle, and extends up into the center of the carb venturi.
You can see the top of it if you look down the carb throat.
It never shows on the carb parts pages because it is not a replaceable part.

Same with the throttle butterfly....not a replaceable part.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well,you have cleared that up for me D,probably saved me a lot of messing about.I have had bikes over the years and the throttle pin was always central.
So it looks like a carb clean will probably be a good idea.
I've got a 1963 Evinrude fastwin on the boat at the moment,I have brought it back to it's former glory,it runs sweet.I got this 25hp for an extra bit of power and because it is more modern.It';s a 14ft boat with no cab/cuddy,a good freeboard two seats and steering and a very nice planing hull.
My next job will be to extend the steering pickup rod, and changing over from a short shaft to a long shaft.(extending the transom 5")
I use the boat for sea fishing,so the extra height on the transom will be better in a following sea.
Thanks for your help it's much appreciated.