1972 Johnson 25

parratt1

Seaman Apprentice
Went through this motor 2 years ago. Just took it out for the first time yesterday and it ran great. Purred like a kitten. But, on a 16ft Jon, I could only go 5.5 mph. This morning that I took the top off and checked and I have no spark to the top cylinder. A buddy of mine who is an auto mechanic had me swap the coils and retry and I still had only spark on the bottom cylinder. He then had me swap the capacitors and same thing only spark on the bottom cylinder. I changed out the top spark plug wire as well with a new one and still no spark on the top cylinder. What can possibly be causing this? I think points are the only thing left. I've gotta be missing something.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
You've went this far and you say only points left maybe you answered your own question , I think I would try it .

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Dress the points with a match cover or business card and acetone or lacquer thinner. Reset at .020. You can test by seating the flywheel in place, and flipping it quickly by hand (clockwise) -- torque it down when you know you have spark.

Use an adjustable spark tester.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
(plugs out for hands-on testing, of course. Probably know that, but better to be insulting than get somebody hurt.... In the same light, keep the spark tester away from the plug holes.)

hope you get it solved.

parratt1

Seaman Apprentice
I've never messed with points before. Just need a set of standard feeler gauges or do I need the brass ones?

AlTn

Commander
standard is fine...clean the end of the feeler gauge with acetone, carb cleaner, etc. to remove any oil before using