Fuel shortage 89' Johnson 200

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fuel shortage
I've got what seems like a fuel shortage. I guess it could be something wrong with the ignition but it really sounds like it's running out of fuel. 89' Johnson 200 running around 4,000 rpm's it misses. The motor just kind of falls on its face. It just started this at the end of the day on Saturday. The VRO has been removed. This is the same boat that sat for 8 years with out running. The fuel filter has been cleaned but the fuel line and bulb has not. The fuel pump has not been touched. I'd like to change the lines/bulb and filter out this week. Just wondering if there is something I can do to confirm the fuel pump? Change a diaphragm or something.

please advise.

P.S. I do have a slight smell of fuel. The fuel tank does not have a good seal on the inlet. The hose likes to come off.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you don't have a good seal on that fuel line then your probably sucking air, so you can't make full power. That's a possibility. Or have you cleaned the carbs and replaced gaskets ("the boat that sat for 8 years"? You may have a leaky gasket somewhere allowing you to suck air again ot just be the source smell of gasoline. Of you likely have partially clogged high speed jets that can't flow enough fuel at wide open.

When it's falling on its face or seeming like its struggling for fuel pump the primer ball and see if it speeds up any. This will tell you if there is a fuel restriction or possibly weak fuel pump.

Also is your timing advancing all the way when you open to wide open.

Just some of my thoughts where to look, I could be way off but I would check out or eliminate these as possibilities.

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll be digging into it later this week.

It's an older motor that runs well. However, just for know what kind of gremlins are going to pop up. The carbs were full of 2stroke oil when I got it.

Overall the motor feels weak to me. Should jump up on plane much better in my opinion. I've only reached 5000 rpm's with it. Granted, the 89' Javelin 396 is a heavy hull. But, I just think there's more in there. Saturday was the first time it had extensive use. It was fine all day. But, late the problem popped up. Something came loose? Clogged, leaned etc. maybe water accessed something. (Pouring rain all day)

How can I test for the timing advance?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Carbs have oil in them because the gad evaporates and leaves the oil.

I have a 376 with a 150GT on it. Jumps up pretty quick.

If you put it into gear you can watch the timing advance lever move with the throttle. As far as more than that someone more advanced than me will have to answer.