Tell tale in 115 Evinrude

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I finally got the lower unit on and the carbs rebuilt and back on yesterday.
Started it up and while it seems to run pretty good I'm wondering what's the best way to be sure I have the water tubes where they belong and water is pumping correctly?
I do get water peeing out of a hole on the port side but also from a hole at the front of the lower where it meets the exhaust housing.
I do have a short video I'll try to post here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully you used the 2 guide tubes when installing the lower unit.---Exhast cover should stay cool.------Water level should be higher up for proper testing.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For sure, I actually lost one but thanks to Tims Outboard's I was able to get 2 new ones, kind of tricky keeping things lined up....even with the tubes.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I took the boat out today.
It runs pretty darn good but there seems to be a whine now when powering forward or reverse. I'm wondering maybe a messed up when shimming the driveshaft.
Ok I'm trying to post a video but my phone is fight me.
I'll try again in a little bit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water is supposed to squirt out that hole in front. It is a drain hole. The other one is there to wet your shoes.

Did you put a new o-ring in the groove at the top end of the drive shaft? Did you use the right size? Too fat an o-ring will hold the drive shaft down forcing the gears together, causing whine. So will over enthusiastic greasing of the splines, especially on the top end of the shaft.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used the o ring that came with the seal kit.
I put a small amount of anti seize on the splines, they did go together hard but I wasn't sure if it was the splines or the exhaust seal.
As much as I don't want to drop the lower again I'm thinking I probably should.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Wait a minute--"shimming the drive shaft"? Maybe I missed that somewhere. Incorrect shimming surely will cause whine---and gear destruction.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I am unfortunately getting pretty good at pulling this lower off.
I couldn't get a solid measurement for how to shim before I put it together but I determined that it needed another .005. This may have been wrong, I have now removed the shim and will be cleaning the socket on the crankshaft before reassembly.
We'll see what happens from there.

Oh the reason for the change in shims is that I had to replace both the driveshaft and the pinion gear.

If this doesn't do it I guess I'll have to do a total disassembly and measure for the shims again.