1960 evinrude 18 hp

Jt evinrude

Cadet
Im having an issue I have wonderful compression and great spark jump 1/4 inch and it will turn over fine but will not start and start running it will burp a bit and sometimes run for a few seconds and die plus I just noticed a leak on my carb on the side where the electric choke im assuming is supposed to be which I do not have there is a hole where I havr fuel leaking out when I pump the bulb up is this what is keeping my motor from staying running because its not holding fuel pressure in the carb? Need help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I am assuming the carb is overflowing out the vent hole because the float valve is stuck, or the old cork float is gone to hades, or both. At any rate the carburetor has to come apart and be cleaned. Get an OEM carb kit for the necessary gaskets etc to put it back together. It will include a new float.

Have you checked the ignition coils? I'll guarantee that they are bad (cracked) unless they have already been replaced. The fact that it has spark doesn't impress me very much. You are totally wasting your time if they are cracked.

Jt evinrude

Cadet
The coils are new they are the lite green and dark green metal but I pulled the carb apart today and you are totally correct the float was stuck its working properly now but seems as though when its running its not running to its full rpm and im having no luck figuring out why any suggestions F_R

interalian

Commander
Cylinder drop test is where you run the engine and unplug one spark plug wire (insulated pliers) and see if the speed changes. Replace plug wire and repeat with the other. If it stays running the same when one is removed, that cylinder isn't firing.

Jt evinrude

Cadet
Oh ok ill do that and get back with you so sounds as though you believe its only running on one cylinder

Jt evinrude

Cadet
One cylinder has more spark that the other pulled one plug stayed running just started running ruff put it back and pulled the other and it stayed running but ran a lot more ruff and I had to fight with it to keel jt going and it still not wanting to open up to full rpm and idk why

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Might be bad plug wires, higher RPM means higher voltage and more likely to arc through. Or it might be something else like bad plugs. Either way you'll need to go through the ignition system and get a strong spark on both cylinders.

Jt evinrude

Cadet
Im leaning towards bad plug wires at this point maybe loose connection from wire to coil so im gonna go with new plug wires and new plugs an see what that does tmrw hopefully fix my issue I did the drop test at a little more rpm than idle boobie

Jt evinrude

Cadet
So motor is running perfect now no issues at all starts first pull no issue but I put it in forward gear in the test tank seems as though ita working fine in forward gear put it in the river and acts as though it puts it in a bind wont climb in rpm more than maybe 2200 put in nuetral revs up to the point where brass piece stops it no problem same in reverse but forward not allowing rpm climb took apart gear case today all is in Perfect shape no even the slightest scratch or metal shavings so im at a loss now have no clue where to go from here re sealed the gear case put all back together and all seems in working order as it did before so all I know to do is go test it again but does any of this sound familiar to anybody is there anything I should do could it be drive shaft issues possibly I wouldnt think so seeing as reverse is working fine but ive seen stranger things thank in advance for any advise posted

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have you adjusted the high speed needle when running at WOT? The air/fuel mix might be a little rich -- try leaning it out a bit (clockwise) and see if rpms increase.

Jt evinrude

Cadet
Oldboat1 yes its been adjusted to perfect position at wot but it seems to be having some other issue climbing Ron's in gear I have no idea it's very strange ive rebuilt 4 of these model fastwins never seen this happen before