Shift Shaft reattachment 1998 60hp

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1998 evinrude 60hp

Ok so this is my first time doing the waterpump on this motor. Got it diconnected fine. Did the pump kit. Adjusted shaft length to spec. Put the thing back togeather and am having a difficult time catching the hole in the shaft with the pin on the bell crank. I am reaching right over the lower unit to turn it to try and align it with a pair of plyers, tried to press it toward ot with a screwdirver. Maybe I havent tried long enough but this can't be this difficult? I took ot apart in reverse and assembling in reverse, all the way down...now I'm thinking did I put it back in reverse after I measured in neutral, but I am pretty sure I did? I guess I can double check that, but anyone have any other tricks?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Pull the shift rod all the way up to do it. If you still have trouble take the air box off.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is the first type like this I have done. Pulling it apart I was praising OMC. Putting back togeather I was cussing them. I was cussing OMC pulling apart my 1990 Johnson 150GT, but it went back togeather easy. And my old 1969 or something 25hp with the window in the side of the lower unit was simple!