1974 evinrude 2hp no power

blacktrain

Seaman
Well here I am back again. Got the spark problem fixed, now the motor has no power. Starts right up, when you open up the throttle the rpm's go up but not much above a high idle. I can screw in the high speed jet all the way in and it makes no difference the motor runs the same. I did clean the carburetor, but no change. As i move the throttle I do notice that the butterfly in the carburetor is opening up like it should. I also checked the reed valve to make sure it's not sticking or cracked. As always, I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It should not run at all with the high speed needle screwed all the way in. Either it isn't actually going all the way in, or fuel is bypassing it somehow. Yep, the nozzle gasket will do that.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you running the engine in a barrel or on the boat? High speed adjustments need to be done on a boat or on a bracket attached to a dock. The limited water volume contained in a barrel will cause too much "Swirl" in the water and you should not try to accelerate much past the Start markings on the outboard.