No spark

blacktrain

Seaman
1974 2 hp evinrude ( no spark) new coil, new points, new condenser, new plug wire, new plug. Points set at 20. Made sure the points are not grounding out to the timing plate. Even though the coil and condenser are new I tested them just to make sure. Any ideas? I appreciate your help. Thanks!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
With all that new stuff, my guess would be something is wired wrong.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you check that the points are making perfect electrical contact? New ones might have a bit of dirt or oxidation. Otherwise I'd suspect the plug wire isn't connected at one end or the other.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^agree with both. Plug wire needs to be the solid wire core style, with core contact at both coil and plug spring connector in boot. Coil needs to be mounted perfectly flush on posts.

kbait

Commander
There should be a grounding strap (wire) with one end bolted to the underside of the armature plate, and the other end bolted to powerhead. Test for continuity between plate and powerhead. If no continuity, spark plug ground to powerhead cannot complete the circuit to ignition ground..and no spark possible.

blacktrain

Seaman
Thanks to your posts and advice I located the problem. (The points) even though they are new must be there was a film of something between the contacts. All I did was take a business card and rubbed it between the contacts several times and now I have a super hot blue spark. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. Thank you!!!

lindy46

Captain
Just because they're new doesn't mean they don't need cleaning. I usually use a business card soaked in acetone.