Will this work or NOT??

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi folks,
Was wondering if the newer Black all plastic CDI coils can be substituted for the older Points coils, Blue ones,,,, with metal fin type fins?? I have a few newer all plastic black coils from parting out motors which had CDI ignitions , But have no older point / condenser style coils, was wondering if I can splice the wires to the older style coils, to the newer All black plastic ones? Has anyone tried this? thanks kodibass

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you thinking of mounting these newer coils under the flywheel ?------What model motors do you speak of ??

kbait

Commander
Since the cd box just replaces points - signaling the coils 'when' to fire, swapping external coils as you suggest will work just fine.
Good luck!

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can fire those could with points, but how are you going to charge the coils? The CD ignition (and low tension magneto)used a coil under the flywheel to charge the external ignition coils.

kbait

Commander
I think he's referring to using, for example, 1994 external 15hp drive coils (cd box system) for 1974 15hp external drive coils (points system). He wants to modify the newer drive coils' wiring so it can connect to the older setup. Coil swap will work fine, as both systems use a charge coil under flywheel to supply voltage to drive coils..cd box/points only signal when to fire..hope this clears it up😎

kodibass

Kbait, that is spot on correct, The coils are on a 1976 15 hp Evinrude, External coils, they are blue with stacked metal flange fins, One is bad, & the other has the plastic cracked, I have a few old busted up later model 15 hp motors that are seized etc, That I savaged the coils off of, They are the black external mounted ones typical of a 80's 15 omc I want to put these black newer style coils on this older 15 I had donated to me from a buddy. both are external type,, only the wire clip on the older ones would need to be spliced as they have a shreader clip, but other than that I think it will work. I'll try & see. thanks Kodi

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not so sure.
A CDI box doesn't just replace points. In a CDI system the ignition coil works as a transformer and is driven by a short 300V pulse provided by the charged capacitor. The coil/transformer does not store energy and is not required to be DC driven.
In a magneto/points ignition the coil is driven by a DC current which collapses rapidly when the contacts open.
So the turns ratio of the windings may be different as well as the magnetic core material and the winding layout.

kbait

Commander
Beyond my pay grade 😎

Hey Kodi, try the swap and report back w/results.. I've always assumed that swap would work, but never needed to try it.

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Couple of years ago I purchased 2 coils off ebay for my 76',point system. When I got them they were for a 79', cdi. I did get spark but weak. Then bought correct coils and got great spark.

Like Werner said incorrect input signal from point system...one will not get complete saturation of the cdi coils with point system.

The point coils have a 1.35ohm primary where the cdi's are like 5000ohm primary.

Last edited:

kodibass

IT will " NOT" work,, (coil swap) fail,,

Hey folks I tried swapping the All plastic black CDI external coils for the Blue round plastic / with metal shoulder style external coils used with points magneto motors, No spark, It will not work :-( I found the old style that came on the motor from a friend put them on """snap--hot spark... kodi

jbcurt00

Staff member
Kodi, thats the rest of the story, not a new one. Merged todays topic into the original. Besides, anyone interested in the 1st topic of
Will this work
will probably appreciate the results....