9.9 hp Johnson 1996 - Prop & Prop shaft pulls away from housing 5/8"-1"

Ship Designer

Recruit
Couple of problems with Johnson outboard:
I have a 96 9.9 Johnson that won't go into reverse. Bought the boat/motor in Arkansas & don't have much history on how much it was used. Before I bought the motor, we cranked it with only a few pulls. However, it wasn't peeing so when I got home I ordered parts and changed the Waterpump. Because it's a kicker motor on an 18' boat, it has a long shaft (guess that's what it's called). I call it 2 intermediate housings. The prop & prop shaft seems to move 5/8"-1" or more away from the housing and seems like it's going to come completely off the motor. I realize I just gave you 2 problems, but I thought they may be associated. After changing the Waterpump I launched the boat and ran the motor for 15 minutes. It pushed the boat good, but wouldn't shift into reverse. Got any ideas?
Terry

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Seems farfetched but maybe the reverse gear is not installed.-------Best to take it apart NOW !

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just had mine apart..well couple months ago anyway...I think in reverse the prop shaft splines rest against the reverse gear. The reverse gear has a bushing inside of it. Even though I think the spline diameter is larger than the reverse gear bushing it could have worn or catastrophically got pulled inside of the reverse gear if run in reverse alot. Maybe...