Motor dies when putting it in gear - either forward or reverse it dies out

I have a 1974 Evinrude 50 hp twin cylinder outboard that runs great .... until I shift it into gear with the Power Pilot shifter that came with the motor . It doesn't matter if I shift into forward or reverse . I get about one inch into the shift stroke and it dies just like I shut off the ignition. I shift back into neutral and the motor fires right up again instantly. Is there an electrical switch in the shifter that needs replacing ? I can't imagine that it would be the throttle or shifter cable attachment in the motor . Any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks !

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Seems that idle speed needs to be adjusted CW tad more, so OB revs bit higher and doesn't die when shifting..

Happy Boating

interalian

Commander
Check it's running on both cylinders by doing a cylinder drop test. Pulling one or the other plug wire should affect running equally. If nothing happens when you pull one, it's not firing. If the motor stalls when you pull the other, that one is firing and the other isn't. Good idea to do a compression test as well - post up the results.

Thanks guys , the more I think about it I'm inclined to believe it could be in the shifter cable connection in the motor and or the cab lingage and here's why I think that . When my son and I had the boat on the river and I couldn't get it into gear without it stalling I had my son actually grab on to the throttle linkage on the motor and raise the RPMs so the motor would engage the forward gear as I pushed the shifter forward and as long as he manually worked the linkage the boat would move forward , but , the motor RPMs would not respond to the shifter action no matter how far forward I thrust it . And with the Power Pilot shifter all the way forward the motor would die as soon as he let go of the throttle linkage . The boat will be uncovered from it's winter sleep in about a week or so and at that time I will test the motor and increase the idle speed as suggested. I will post again with results in a couple of weeks . Thanks ! PS: I am still trying to find out if there is a neutral safety switch in the Power Pilot .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a nuetral safety switch in the control box.----But it only PREVENTS cranking the motor over if it is in gear.-----Does not do anything once motor is running.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
74 isn't that one of the electric shift in lower unit models? Have you manipulated the throttle lever with the cover off and see if the cable moves the throttle linkage on the carbs? This also advances timing when you advance the throttle, I'm thinking you're right it's on that motor end not the controls end.