76 evinrude 15hp getting hot

dwalters219

Cadet
1976 15 hp evinrude (15604A) wouldn't **** dropped foot checked impeller and is practically new installed last year blew all tubes out good has some build up but it's all clear after running at idle and it pissing good and getting carb set it ran in a drum of water for about 10 minutes and then just died after that tried cranking many times but it wouldn't stay running no longer than 10 to 15 seconds and motor was a little warmer than I think it should be I guess my question is is there another port for the cooling on the motor or is it one big flow circle and do these small motors have thermostats?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The thermostat is at the bottom of the head by the hood latch. If you can hold your hand on the head for 5 seconds your temp is probably ok you can check with an infared temp gun. Has the carb been serviced at all?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It has a t.stat -- down at the base of the powerhead, just above the hood latch. Normal temp would be somewhere between 120F and 140 or so on the top of the head. 160F is too hot (and too hot to touch).

[ed. slow typist.... agree w/flyingscott.]

dwalters219

Cadet
Yes carb has been rebuilt new plugs new coils new points and condensers it's runs like a top... would the thermostat be an issue in this situation or is there more troubleshooting I can do? I'm thinking something is clogged up but after I blew tube out and exhaust housing out really well it's pisses good

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The problem with the thermostat on those is it is actually easier to pull the head off to service it. If you pull the head you can see if there are any waterpump parts up in there. If it was overheated at any time the watertube grommet could be melted and that requires pulling the powerhead. Get the infared gun and see what your temp actually is. Your problem could be a bad fuel pump or fuel fitting leaking or bad gas.

dwalters219

Cadet
I'll definitely check the heat on it as far as the pump goes it should be good but all the fittings and hose are new as well I traded a 25 parts motor for this one and been tinkering around with it but I'll get back to you guys appreciate the info

dwalters219

Cadet
Took the back plate off and had a clog in the port where the water comes up into the motor got it flushed out and put back together and run it yesterday and it holds steady at around 125 degrees!!! So we good on water flow but now I'm having issues with my carb it will idle perfect but when you shift it into forwards and give it all the throttle it only gives half to 3/4 throttle is there a high speed adjustment on these carbs on the inside? I rebuilt the carb on it and when I took the idle adjustment out the front when I put it all back together I went all the way in and brought it out 1 and half turns and it will crank in neutral good then sometimes i have to crank it in gear so I can have my throttle more open and it will bust off every time... is there any specific things or a step by step process y'all know of for adjusting the carb?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
There should be a high speed orifice (jet) behind the drain plug facing forward on the bottom of the float bowl. It needs to be clean for proper function .

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
The tiller might have slipped a tooth or two; that can happen when it's raised up

dwalters219

Cadet
aight I'll have to check and see on the tiller handle is the problem but I'm going to take the carb back off and clean it again just to be safe but as far as any kind of adjustment screws there is none on this carb?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well there is no drain plug on the front of the carburetor.--And the carburetor must be removed to get to the high speed jet !!--------And yes there should be an adjustable low speed mixture needle.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Have you done the link and sync on the motor. Check to make sure the carb is opening all the way the cam is adjustable.

dwalters219

Cadet
Have you done the link and sync on the motor. Check to make sure the carb is opening all the way the cam is adjustable.
Never heard of a link and sync?!?! I know I sound desperate but I'm not no boat mechanic but I can mechanic haha I just want to learn and nobody around my parts are boat people at all so I'm having to turn to you guys

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Where the throttle roller on the carb meets the cam there is a mark. The throttle needs to start opening on that mark you may have to adjust the cam. Is your roller in good shape it it is missing you will not have full throttle.