Need info 115hp v4 Evinrude

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently got a really good deal on a pontoon that came with a 115hp v4 evinrude. I got the great deal on the boat because the owner was not able to start the boat and did not know much about it.
1. the motor is supposedly a 1992, I Could not find any kind of plate on the motor that stated a serial number or model or year. Any info on this motor is appreciated.
2. Anyone know of an online manual somewhere to order a manual for the motor?
3. At some point a previous owner of the boat had disconnected the oil pump and made it a premix boat, when i try to start it I'm going to start it as premix. I would like to convert it back to oil injection. I've attached pictures of the motor I'm not sure if the oil pump is still on the motor or not. But any info on making it oil injection again will be helpful.
4. The guy I bought it from said the carb may need cleaned, any info on this or a link would also be appreciated.

interalian

Commander
If there's no SN plate on the transom clamp, check for a disc on the top of the block which may have the model/serial number stamped. Looks like the oil mix pump is gone - best bet to keep mixing at 50:1 as the parts will be pricey.

Best service manual is the factory manual which you can probably find on ePay once you've determined the model number. Or look at boatinfo.no for a scan of a relatively generic (and not terribly reliable) manual.

There are two carbs on this motor. Rebuild kits are about $30 each, and the work is easy. Get the service manual first as you will need to set the linkages back up once you bolt the carbs back on.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
As Racer posted compression test first. Someone has removed the VRO and replaced it with a standard fuel pump so premix is you option as a new VRO is about $600 now.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At $600, I will just keep premixing. Can someone show me a picture of the part and what the part is actually called? I constantly searching craigslist for good deals on things I don't need, so I just want to keep an eye out.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried to get the motor started, not getting any spark. Pretty sure my issue is the cdi module, we have hot wires coming in to it but the wires coming out arnt hot. Can anyone direct me to the model of the cdi that I need, I found a bunch online at all different price points but just want to make sure I get the right one.

I also found the vro pump inside of the boat, should I bother trying to reconnect it or should I just keep premixing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The part you circled is the voltage regulator !!------Nothing to do with making spark either.-----And 12 volts from the battery is not used to make spark on this motor.-----Motor can be started with pull rope if battery is totally dead.----Report the compression numbers before you spend a single $ on this thing !!

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did the compression test, the top left was 110 psi, bottom left was 110 psi. Top right was 80 psi and bottom right was 60 psi. I know they should all be above 100psi, how should I proceed?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Pull the heads off and take a peak inside, those numbers typically indicate a total rebuild is needed, but it may be a head gasket if you're lucky.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.-----I suspect broken rings and a complete rebuild is needed.----Pull heads off and post pictures of the top of all 4 pistons.----Good thing you did not start spending $ on electrical parts !!!

Last edited:

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Assuming it needs total rebuild, any rough range of what a shop might charge? And a rough range for buying the parts and attempting it my self?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You would be shocked at what this costs at a shop.---That is if you can find a shop that will take it on.------------Figure on $ 400 for boring / honing.-----$800 + for quality parts.---And labour at up to $100 / hr for say 15 to 20 hrs.----Your location is ?-----I pick up motors like this in better cosmetic condition knowing full well they need rebuilding.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would also take the lower unit apart for inspection.-----No point spending money to rebuild the top and find that the lower unit needs gears / bearings too.-Lower unit does need a seal kit / pump impeller as a minimum.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm located in Indiana, but working down in Tennessee right now, next time I get home I'm going to try to get the heads off and investigate further

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have located a guy who can rebuild the motor for me for $2500, including the lower unit. If Iam willing to pay that to fix it, is this motor worth fixing or will I have issues with it down the road? My last boat had a 90hp Yamaha and I never had any trouble with it. I considered buying a junk boat with a good outboard or used outboard but I'm not finding much right now and the used outboard prices right now for 90-125hp is ridiculous. The guy who would rebuilt it has a good reputation and I had a couple people verify his work and skills. The pontoon I got I paid $2500 including the trailer and all of the seats are I amazing shape and not ripped at all and the toons are in great shape,it's a 24 footer, comparable boats in the same shape and length with smaller motors sell for around $4000-6000 so If I get it rebuilt I'll have $2500 into, which is fine. I just don't want to rebuild something that is known for problems or may have issues down the road.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have two of these sitting in my shop, both in the same condition, they all seem to suffer the same fate. when the one I was using died in the same way I chose not to rebuild, sold the motor for parts and purchased a 2005 Merc in great shape for less than the the cost of a rebuild. It was a several decade jump in technology and I like the motor far more than the dated crossflow design. I did this a few years ago, so the Merc wasn't that old.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to get a newer motor but the most I'm willing to put into a rebuild or a new motor is around $2500, I have not found any motors around the same size for that price. Are these evinrudes reliable when rebuilt?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Are these evinrudes reliable when rebuilt?

​Yes and no, most components hold up well and parts are easy to find and low in cost, but it seems like every one of them breaks a ring and needs to be rebuilt, using a different brand of piston may help. I paid $2,100 for the Merc, you can find similar deals around if you look for them, the Merc is a far better motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These Evinrudes are great when rebuilt.------Had some folks stop by to say.-------" that 82 115 hp we got from you never missed a beat in the 5 years we had it "-----The fact that these motors can still be started and run with multiple broken rings is a testament to how tough these motors are.-------I can not believe they stayed with those " pressure back rings " for so many years.-------The only design flaw on these motors !

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i'm leaning more towards having mine rebuilt vs. buying a used one. I don't want to spend 2000-3000 on a used it and it take a **** on me, the rebuild would be warrantied.

If I go with the rebuild, should I have the VRO hooked back up or should I keep premixing? I have the VRO pump but I'm not sure if it works, is there a different type of oil injection set up I can add?