1960 lark ii starter smoking

62traveler

Recruit
Hello, my first post and glad to have many new boating enthusiasts in the coming years. I just received a 1962 traveler runabout with 1960 Evinrude Lark ii 40 hp. I cleaned the carb, and the fuel lines, but hv not yet done a compression test. Tried starting motor with the key, and it did several revolutions before starting to act like the starter was bogging down. Then small plumes of smoke emitting from the starter, at which point to shut her down. I removed the spark plugs and tried again and the starter rotated nany times with no issues. I then placed them back in and the starter make about have a revolution and again it bogged down and started to smoke. Any ideas? The motor sat fir about five years prior but was always covered with the shroud.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Welcome! Nice rig, and hope you get the bugs out.

Sounds offhand like the starter (needs cleaning, brushes -- hard to say). I would rule out connections and battery first, though. Do thorough cleaning with sandpaper, and fully charge the battery. Get it load tested if any doubt.

If you have the generator hooked up, probably wouldn't hurt to make sure it's spinning freely.

guessing, of course.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take the starter in for repair to some body that has a growler.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Years ago I worked in an Auto-Electric shop and it's impossible to do any decent starter work without one.