89' 200 Johnson "No Reverse"

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As many know I picked up an 89' 200 that hadn't been used in 8 years. It runs great but before I took it out, I decided to change the water pump. Everything went smoothly until I had to put the lower unit back on.

once I learned... this sequence/order it went well.

1.) tape up the exhaust manifold
2.) align the water pipe.
3.) align the shifter linkage into the grommet/hole
4.) align the spline and push.

once I got this down it was pretty easy.

however, now that I got it aligned and installed I don't think I have Reverse engaged. I move the shifter into spot and the prop free spins. Basically spins in everything except forward.

thoughts concerns?

im concerned that my shifter link rotated clockwise and is too short to engage Reverse.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
That sounds like what happened!! the shifter shaft length setting is critical. there is a list of required settings for your motor,

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Before screwing around with the shift rod height make sure the pin is in the eye of the shift rod and actually moving the shift rod in both directions, up and down.

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got it all worked out. I'd never done it before. As soon as I pulled the shift rod out I knew I goofed. Brainless moment. But, I got it all worked out. Took the boat out today for the first time.

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The length of the shift shaft that I had was too short. Basically when I did the water pump I lost my reference point of the shift shaft. I completely removed it with out considering that issue.