1971 Johnson 50hp Wiring Assistance needed (clipped wires?)

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
just bought a new project boat, and it's a 1966, the motor that is on it is a 1971.
Apparently the two didn't jive, and the previous owner had screwed the two remotes together. (no, really...)
The Johnson remote was for starting and harness control.
The evenrude remote was used for the Neutral and Forward (no reverse?).

So, I pulled the remotes apart, scavenged the directional switch (don't know what it's called) from an old Johnson remote.
But the three wires in the picture below were wired into the buttons on the Evenrude remote.

I have no idea where to reconnect these wires, but I'm thinking it needs to be on the new directional switch...

Help?

This is the piece I got from the other Johnson, which I assume tells the motor if it's forward or reverse or neutral ... the circles plug is attached to the switch

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, that switch you circled is the Shift switch. The wires are purple, blue and green, Purple would be the power. With NO power to either the blue or the green, you should be in Forward. With power to JUST the green, you should have Neutral. With power to BOTH the green and the blue, you should get reverse.
​There are several posts on here about Hydro-Electric shift in the forums. I have one where I had to replace that switch you circled with something else. That switch can be upwards of $350 if you can find one where you are. They aren't made anymore....

​I'd search the other posts too and be sure you wire properly for your engine, but I have a 71' 50hp Johnson and that's what the wires are...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Oops, ignore diagram. That's the wrong one.

Attachments

• photo262775.jpg
    photo262775.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

This is the wrong one also, but closer than the last one I uploaded. Too many cylinders on this one.

Attachments

• photo262777.jpg
    photo262777.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 11

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here's a pdf of the wiring diagram from my manual for the 71' 50hp Johnson.
​I like the ones F_R posted because it's colored and a bit easier to read, but just for your reference.
​Also, to add to my earlier post, I'm quite sure you have the "Hydro-Electric" shift, so what I wrote and the wiring diagrams shown are correct.
​Please DO verify for yourself though, that you do indeed have "Hydro-Electric". If its just "Electric" or "Selectric" then the switch you need will be different,
​The 2 switches, if I recall, Look virtually identical, but they provide power to blue and/or green differently. Hydro and Selectric are NOT interchangeable...

​Hope it helps!

Attachments

• 71 50hp Wiring Diagram.pdf
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 45

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Omw guys this is perfect! Thank you so much! I had a couple more questions, but these diagrams solved them ( I think ).
He had ran a wire from the starter so that you could 'touch this to the battery' to get it started.
I have eventually just unhooked everything in the control box from the wiring harness (labeled of course) and am testing each of the elements inside, cleaning the connections, and bought a repair manual (which had every diagram except the one that I needed - thanks jbuote )

It will be nice to get the original control box working again, While I have all the components out, I'm blasting and painting the control box, because, you know... why not right?:)

Thanks again! this diagram is just what I needed!

Here's the engine pics for reference for what I'm dealing with.

and yes, that's a 1966 Evenrude Starter relay, it's a long story lol, but it works, and my new one is in the mail!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh man... I wish that listing was up last year when I had my switch problem.. LOL
​Though nothing suggests the switch in that one is good, but for 80 bucks? Nice parts piece... Hmmmmm... :joyous:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah, seems to be a number of the hydro electric boxes at the moment -- worth a look.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hate to be a pain, but I re-read your original post, so I'll ask others too..
​You said that you had 2 remotes? The Johnson was for throttle and starting, and an Evinrude push button remote for shifting?

​I'm admittedly new to this era engine and the differences. My experience is with the Hydro-Electric.
​I only know that there IS a difference. Possibly a costly one.

​My question to All now is.... Could a lower unit for an Evinrude (with Selectric et. al) be mounted to a Johnson engine?
​If so, is it not possible that there really is a Selectric and NOT Hydro-Electric lower unit on this engine?

​Again, not trying to be a pain, but the original post made me wonder, so I felt the need to pose the question JUST to be sure Small Saddle has the correct advice regarding the shift switch wiring..

​Hoping a question now is better than a mistake later.....

My apologies....

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no difference between an Evinrude and Johnson lower unit for a 1971 50 hp except for the paint colour !!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The only difference is the remote control. And they are interchangeable. But you have to realize there are similar controls for other years/models.

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
I hate to be a pain, but I re-read your original post, so I'll ask others too..
​You said that you had 2 remotes? The Johnson was for throttle and starting, and an Evinrude push button remote for shifting?

​I'm admittedly new to this era engine and the differences. My experience is with the Hydro-Electric.
​I only know that there IS a difference. Possibly a costly one.

​My question to All now is.... Could a lower unit for an Evinrude (with Selectric et. al) be mounted to a Johnson engine?
​If so, is it not possible that there really is a Selectric and NOT Hydro-Electric lower unit on this engine?

​Again, not trying to be a pain, but the original post made me wonder, so I felt the need to pose the question JUST to be sure Small Saddle has the correct advice regarding the shift switch wiring..

​Hoping a question now is better than a mistake later.....

My apologies....

No worries... So the Motor is a 1971 Johnson. It has the original remote that came with the motor.
I assume the switch was bad, and he remove it in an attempt to fix it? The switch was nowhere to be found.
He told me the second Johnson remote (unsure of the year) had the part in it to fix the 71 control box.

Attached to the Boat was the original 1966 Evenrude Control box. He had drilled a hole, ran wires from the original Evenrude Control panel into the wiring harness of the Johnson which allowed the motor to have Forward and Neutral, but no reverse. Then he bungie corded both of the remotes together.
I had to turn on the ignition key on the Johnson, Select Reverse which was actually Neutral and then Use a wire connected to the starter to touch the positive on the battery to start the engine. .... Yeah I can't make this stuff up.

I've stripped the Evenrude from the boat now as it was only being used for the switch.
I've taken the switch out of the spare johnson and installed it in the original 71 remote. I'm using the diagram above (which is perfect!) to wire into the harness.
That should give the switch control back to the original remote.

The Evenrude had a push button switch, the Johnson is the one pictured above.

The 71 is a Hydro Electric

Last edited:

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
I also have to figure out how to get that manual choke switch there to work the choke on the motor.
Currently it's got a pair of pliers attached to the choke at the motor lol :)